Windows 11 version 24H2 update fails with error code 0x80070002

Anonymous
2025-03-13T21:57:50+00:00

My Acer Predator PHN18-71 (Windows 11 version 23H2, Intel Core i7-14700HX, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070) has been trying to install the Windows 11 version 24H2 update since it first appeared in my Check for Updates window a few months ago. The update always fails, listing error code 0x80070002 as the broad issue. I have, to the best of my ability, researched all the recommended things to try to make this update succeed:

Check Time Settings

Update drivers

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Rename the Software Distribution and catroot2 Folders

Restart Windows Update Service

Check System Files with DISM for inconsistencies

I'm sure that I'm missing a few - I'll try to flesh out my list.

Yesterday I made a fresh backup image of my C: drive and performed an iso file 24H2 installation. It failed, so I ran SetupDiag. It responded with only one issue:

"Error: SetupDiag reports a fatal error on driver migrations. ErrorCode: 0x80070002"

I have the zip folder of files produced by SetupDiag.

The only clue I have to a possible source of this problem is that my computer's audio system is malfunctioning. These issues began after my machine started failing system updates. I can't get any sound out of my laptop's speakers or my headphone jack. I have to use USB speakers or a USB external sound card to get any audio output, which apparently also requires disabling the Microsoft High Definition Audio Device (otherwise I get no audio from any source). The Realtek Audio Driver has stopped appearing in my Device Manager even though it says it is installed after I reinstall it from the Acer website. The Realtek Audio Console window is now empty except for this:

"Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine."

It used to be full of controls that functioned.

The Intel Smart Sound Technology BUS in Device Manager shows error code 39:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing."

No other drivers show any errors in Device Manager.

I've seen multiple people post online about this apparent audio driver / failed update issue with very similar symptoms. But I haven't seen how or if they resolved them.

I'm admittedly not a very capable or experienced system administrator. I'd appreciate any help I can get to resolve these issues.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-21T17:04:37+00:00

    I cancelled the 24H2 update because it stopped at 88% complete for 2 hours.

    It reported that it was able to uninstall changes.

    Should I run it again and just try to wait it out? How long is too long? Is there any way to tell if it is still working?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-21T16:10:13+00:00

    Ramesh,

    There are no yellow bangs in the Device Manager.

    Am I correct that 0x800704C7 is from me cancelling the 24H2 update?

    A restore point, time stamped 3/20/25 3:55:19 pm, has now appeared for just before my aborted 24H2 Update.

    What should I do next?

    Retry the System Update?

    Reinstall the Intel MVA Driver and then update?

    Something else?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-21T05:42:02+00:00

    Hi Roy,

    0x800704C7 is unrelated to driver package error 0x80070002, and I don't think you don't need to uninstall any more drivers. Setup erases all the System Restore points. The suggestion to create a Restore Point was a temporary measure because we already have the driver backed up to the "C:\Drivers" folder. Intelmvaextension.inf should be there. Is the Device Manager showing any devices with the yellow bang?

    Edit:

    To add the driver back, you can click the "Add driver" option in Driver Store Explorer and point to Intelmvaextension.inf in the C:\Drivers directory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-21T05:16:16+00:00

    Ramesh,

    I've run into a bit of an issue. I deleted oem40.inf as you requested. I went to create a restore point. When I opened "System Restore" to look at my current saves, I was greeted by this:

    Restore.jpg

    I HAD 3 saves I created before and during our attempts to fix this 24H2 install issue. It appears that I may now have none. This deletion of saves also occurred a few days ago, and I made note of it to Sumit. But then it stopped occurring. The saves reappeared. I stated that it had been fixed. Apparently not. Anyway, I decided to go ahead with the 24H2 iso update. but it hung. Well, at least it stopped at 88% complete for two hours before I cancelled it.

    Logs9.zip

    "SetupDiag: processing rule: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure. .....

    Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure. Last Operation: Offline portion of machine-specific and machine-independent apply operations

    Error: 0x800704C7 - 0x50015

    LogEntry: 2025-03-20 19:29:18, Error SP Operation failed: Offline portion of machine-specific and machine-independent apply operations.

    Error: 0x800704C7[gle=0x000000b7]

    Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

    SetupDiag found 1 matching issue.

    SetupDiag results were logged to: C:\Users\rjbou\Desktop\SetupDiag\Attempt9\SetupDiagResults.log

    This seems to have crashed well BEFORE I cancelled it.

    But 4 hours later I discover that my headphone jack and speakers are working again and then I see this in the Windows Update window:

    Update.jpg

    It's from about 1 hour AFTER I cancelled the 24H2 update. Was this part of the 24H2 update or some automated install?

    Seems unlikely that deleting all the media drivers will fix whatever is going on right now. Reinstalling the Intel MVA Driver seems like it might be warranted, since that's the last thing I did before attempting the 24H2 update. I'm hesitant to delete any more drivers right now which could possibly render this OS nonfunctional. Recovering would require restoring a Macrium Reflect Windows Backup Image from 8 or 9 days ago, before all these drivers were deleted from my system. I'd be back to zero, unless my restore points can be recovered.

    Any idea if its possible to recover these System Restore points?

    Do you know where/how I can acquire the Intel MVA driver we deleted?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. SD - IA 179.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-03-21T02:22:07+00:00

    Side by side, also a good idea to run CHKDSK while you run DriverStoreExplorer.

    How to do a Disk check of System drive in Windows 10 and interpret the logs

    https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2018/04/how-to...

    Disclaimer:

    There are links to non-Microsoft websites which would provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on the websites which are frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers as they do more harm than good sometimes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments