Windows 11 Install Fails, But In An Odd Way

Anonymous
2025-03-04T09:08:54+00:00

Hello! I've been attempting to upgrade (my unsupported (CPU is 1 gen too old)) computer to Windows 11. So I mount the ISO, go through the setup as usual. It says it's installing, I leave it (with sleep off). Then, when I return and restart the computer it brings me to the boot selection screen showing 'Windows 10' and 2 (yes, I tried twice) 'Windows 11 (Mounted On Volume 11)'. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 5675 (1600X, RX570), I have added an extra 1 TB SSD to the original 128GB SSD/1TB HDD. Both of the old drives are in there, the 128GB is the old system drive and still has everything on it. The 1TB is used for data storage.

I can't seem to find anything online about this.

Do these disks have anything to do with the problem? And how can I fix it? Thanks in advance!

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T01:36:30+00:00

    Hello,

    Could you go to C:$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther and share the setuperr.log file that is in the directory?

    This way, I can troubleshoot more.

    If the log file is too big to upload, you can compress it into a ZIP archive and then upload it to OneDrive.

    Hope to hear back from you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-08T21:36:44+00:00

    Hello,

    I am using the ISO to upgrade since the CPU is unsupported. The three times I've run it, it has opened the installer, begun to install, it reaches 100%, and then restarts, but back into Windows 10, and upon restarting again, it opens the boot manager.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-08T13:37:28+00:00

    Hello,

    You should be able to just upgrade with no problems. Sometimes, trying to upgrade again works, although that might take some time to try again.

    Also, what method of upgrading to Windows 11 are you using?

    Windows Update? The ISO? The Installation Assistant?

    Hope to hear back from you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-08T08:56:54+00:00

    Hi,

    So the screen does not appear after doing that. But I'm still unsure how to install Windows 11 without having the same problem. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-07T00:15:26+00:00

    Hello,

    Please remove the first entry named "Windows 11 (C:$WINDOWS.~BT\NewOS\WINDOWS)". That is the one that seems to be causing problems.

    After you are done with that, open Disk Cleanup by going to the Start Menu and typing cleanmgr and pushing Enter, or go to Settings > System > Storage > Temporary Files (if you don't see it, push "Show more categories") and then select everything but "Recycle Bin" and "Downloads", and then push OK if you are on Disk Cleanup and "Remove files" if you are in Settings.

    Let Windows purge the unnecessary files, and then restart your PC.

    Do you see the "Select an Operating System" screen?

    Hope to hear back from you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments