Getting the old version of Notepad on Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-22T11:56:12+00:00

Hello,

I am a blind user who frequently uses the Notepad application. On my Windows 11 laptop, I’m having difficulty to read the content and Braille. I can hear it with my screen reader, but I can’t read it properly. So, when I want to write code properly, I use my Windows 10 PC. Is there a way to have the old version of Notepad? If not, is there any alternative?

Regards,

Olivier

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:11:34+00:00

This is tested and working, no uninstallation necessary.

Open Settings > Apps

In the center pane select Advanced app settings > App execution aliases

Toggle off Notepad

Then go to the old Notepad at C:\Windows\Notepad.exe and right click > Pin to the taskbar/Pin to start/Send to Desktop

Launch the old Notepad from the shortcut you just created

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-10-14T13:07:32+00:00

not working for me and I find no other wait to have the old windows 10 notepad.

Not sure what you tried. But check out this article.

How to Restore Old Classic Notepad in Windows 11

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-old-classic-notepad-windows/

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-12-26T05:42:07+00:00

    Notepad is not on the list on my Windows 11 Pro.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-28T14:27:55+00:00

    HOW TO GET LEGACY NOTEPAD

    1. UNINSTALL UWP NOTEPAD
    2. GO TO SEARCH AND SEARCH "notepad.exe"
    3. CLICK "Open"
    4. Enjoy the old notepad! (Dark mode does not affect legacy notepad

    NOTE: A banner will appear inside the app, saying "A new version of Notepad is available."

    That did the trick, thanks!

    Also, added a shortcut to my taskbard, C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-10-14T13:47:58+00:00

    Try running:

    c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe

    If it's missing, you need to add Notepad via Settings → System → Optional features.

    Edit:

    In the later versions of Windows 11, Optional features has been moved from (Settings → Apps) to (Settings → System)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments