Can't attach word document with Windows 10 home

Anonymous
2022-02-21T08:14:40+00:00

Today I was unable to attach a Word file to an email I wanted to send. I first tried through my Yahoo mail account. I didn't get an error message, the computer screen just got paler while the circular working icon was going. After waiting, I closed the program. After repeated attempts, I restarted my computer and had the same problem. I tried sending the Word file from my Gmail account and got the same problem.

The problem seems to be with just Word, as I had no problem attaching a PDF file.

I haven't made any recent changes and don't have any 3rd party virus protection. I tried the Microsoft trouble shooter with no result.

I have Windows 10 Home and use Chrome as my browser. I've had this configuration on my computer for over 2 years without a problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-22T11:35:30+00:00

    I went into the safe mode but couldn't connect to the Internet from there. Nothing was coming up under Show Available Networks. The troubleshooter function doesn't work in the safe mode so I couldn't try that.

    However, I think may have found the source of the problem. I noticed that I was able to attach some Word docs and not others. At first I thought it had to do with the date of the file, but I now see it has to do which folder on my internal drive the documents are in. In some folders, I can attach all or most of the Word documents and others I can't attach any. This has nothing to do with the date of the Word doc. So perhaps retrieving from the folders is the cause of the problem?

    I tried moving a Word doc I couldn't attach into a folder where I could attach Word docs, but that didn't help for the doc I couldn't attach and it didn't negatively effect the other Word docs.

    The problem with Excel docs seem to be the same as with the Word doc. I have no problem attaching PDF or pictures from any folder on my computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T16:37:32+00:00

    It is not that Windows Explorer Open File Dialog come up only from Chrome, it is same tor all the browsers, that's the functionality actually.

    Safe mode - yes it is pretty simple, just follow the steps mentioned and you should be good. Let me know once you get a chance to check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T16:28:08+00:00

    OK. thanks. Why would a Window Explorer open file dialog box come up when using Chrome? Perhaps that's the problem?

    I'll try the safe mode later today. I've never done that before. Is it easy to get back to the regular mode after going to the safe mode?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T16:18:12+00:00

    Because the Open Menu you see is Windows Explorer open file dialog box, hence I would want to check in safe mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-21T15:58:36+00:00

    Why would it be an Explorer issue? I've been using a Chrome browser except for when I tried using Edge to attach a document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments