Sorting in Task manager is extremely slow.

Anonymous
2021-09-02T02:26:24+00:00

Task manager sorting is extremely slow when I switch from sorting by name to performance metrics or vice versa.

For example - I can sort by name and if after that I decide to sort by one of the performance metrics - it's going to take about 3 seconds to do so. After that - I can freely sort by any of the performance metrics and I will experience no lag, unless I try to sort by the name again. In which case I will see another lag, also about 3 seconds. And from this point the cycle repeats.

I have had this issue before - the only resolution I have found - was to reinstall the windows, but it's not a solution I find sustainable.

TLDR

Sorting by CPU takes 3 seconds, after that, sorting by name takes 3 seconds, if I try to sort by CPU again - I will get another lag of the similar duration.

What can be done about it?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-09-18T05:12:02+00:00

    Same issue here, cold open of task manager while my system is idle and just freshly booted is almost 10 seconds (modern machine, 32gb ddr4, PCIe 4 NVME) I Recently allowed windows 10 to update itself to 11 (waited for MS to prompt me to do it was very patient) same issue. Rest of the system is smooth as butter, I'm a developer and often use my task manager for many different reasons. Also have the 3-5 second lag switching betwix named and performance metric ordering. Please give this more attention microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-29T17:51:12+00:00

    Just chiming in as well to say that I have been having this problem with task manager ever since I put my machine together and first installed W11 on it (February 2022). I also see the mouse lagging problem when sorting by CPU or by Name, for example.

    W11 Pro

    Asus z690 Maximus Hero

    12900k

    32 gb DDR5 Trident memory

    Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-25T15:28:36+00:00

    I bet it is something stupid like a bad character in a program description or something that TaskMgr stuck.

    Let's compare all running programs between people with the problem. Maybe there is something we have in common.

    https://pastebin.com/8qKs6jze You can get a list by pressing Ctrl+S in ProcessXP.

    (I wonder if ProcessXP opening very long has something to do with this too. Probably not.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-16T13:53:06+00:00

    I have ASUS Z490-E and a Samsung 970 Evo. Sandwiched mentioned that they have MSI motherboard, but Samsung SSD is still a common denominator atm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-16T13:50:11+00:00

    I had this issue with a completely new SSD. It might take time to present itself, after a fresh install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments