So my drive died. I brought it to a data recovery place and they recovered 99% of it and stated that there were 48,141 unreadable sectors. I now no longer have the task manager issue with my new harddrive / install. I don't know if my issue was due to my drive being on its way to death or if it was unrelated, but figured I'd update incase other have bad drives too and thats what is causing this issue for all of us.
Sorting in Task manager is extremely slow.
Task manager sorting is extremely slow when I switch from sorting by name to performance metrics or vice versa.
For example - I can sort by name and if after that I decide to sort by one of the performance metrics - it's going to take about 3 seconds to do so. After that - I can freely sort by any of the performance metrics and I will experience no lag, unless I try to sort by the name again. In which case I will see another lag, also about 3 seconds. And from this point the cycle repeats.
I have had this issue before - the only resolution I have found - was to reinstall the windows, but it's not a solution I find sustainable.
TLDR
Sorting by CPU takes 3 seconds, after that, sorting by name takes 3 seconds, if I try to sort by CPU again - I will get another lag of the similar duration.
What can be done about it?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2022-02-16T12:26:54+00:00 -
Anonymous
2022-02-04T09:58:34+00:00 I have Armoury Crate installed but I don't have Samsung's Magician software.
-
Anonymous
2022-01-30T06:14:18+00:00 For myself, I have an MSI motherboard, and two Samsung SSDs: a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, and a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB. I don't have any Samsung software installed though.
-
Anonymous
2022-01-29T18:27:52+00:00 Hmm, in the meantime I upgraded to Windows 11 and the lag remains, haha. The things I have in common with your new build are the ASUS Motherboard (ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero) and the Samsung SSDs. I wonder if this issue is not somehow from Armoury Crate or Samsung's Magician software. Do you have any of these installed?
klepp0906 also mentioned having two problematic builds, both with an ASUS Mobo.
-
Anonymous
2021-09-11T21:20:40+00:00 Hi Igor!
No, I haven't used any registry cleaning/optimizing tools.
Yes, I have tried to repair system files with DISM, unfortunately that did not solve my issue.
BIOS is up to date.