Programs, software and apps keep crashing after 2021 updates Windows 10

Anonymous
2021-03-15T11:25:10+00:00

Hi there,

I am coming to you because i really don't know what else to try and it is becoming frustrating really.

Since early 2021 Windows Updates on both my desktop and laptop, January, February and the most recent now in March, i always had issues with programs crashing, not responding or closing after being opened.

On my desktop the most affected were Spotify and Razer software (all and any), when trying to run them it crashes with a not responding and close program issue.

On my laptop it has reach a really frustrating point where i can't open most of the programs, and even explorer/windows base executables such as notepad, regedit, services, explorer menus when right click on them, event viewer...even attempting to fix i can't because every window closes once i try to open and do something, it just crashes and shuts, no error message, nothing...it just closes after opening.

I've been looking around the internet for reported problems like this and solutions, the few i found were more related to MS Store apps than general programs/software or even windows executables.

I've ran a DISM (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth) and SFC (sfc /scannow) scans through command prompt and manage to get the CBS.log and dism.log uploaded to my drive in order to see them on my desktop as in the laptop is impossible to run.

There are plenty of errors but some that caught my attention were these and similar to these that happen often:

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008b3 Warning: HKCU violation: HKCU keys are not serviceable. Create them at runtime if you need them. Failing key is \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ with security descriptor  and SDDL hash 0x0000000000000000.

2021-03-15 09:11:09, Info                  CSI    000008db Warning: Overlap: Registry value collision found under key \REGISTRY\USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Hangs\ for Disable, only one component should set this value

Tried fixing registry permissions, but having broken registry keys without being able to open regedit it's no go.

Checked file system permissions and ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES are allow on all read & execute, list folder contents and read.

I don't see this as a hardware problem because these are two different systems - desktop and laptop - and i had no issues until 2021 windows updates and security updates.

Both systems are running the 20H2 version on Win 10 Pro x64 system and the subsequent updates from the end of January/early February 2021 started the issues described.

The obvious solution may look simple which is format and install from scratch but really don't want to go through that again...but more and more seems i will have to do that.

Any and all help, tips, advice is welcomed.

Thank you very much and looking forward for your replies and support.

Best regards,

AM

==========//==========

UPDATE:

February Win 10 update KB4601319 - causes crashes described on my desktop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

March Win 10 update KB5000802 - causes the crashes described on both desktop and laptop, unistalling this KB update fixes the problem.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) is conflictive with the issues described above and below.

Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746) is stable and working fine.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-06T01:40:35+00:00

    @SelimAmrari thank you so much for finding this and posting!

    I did use GPUTweakII v2.1.7.1 and after uninstalling it, everything works even after all the windows updates I had been pausing/delaying because of these issues.

    Great find and thank you again for sharing!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-17T00:56:51+00:00

    I too started having the same issues with my PC locking up when idle. I started having numerous issues with my PC in March ever since Microsoft said that my PC will be out of date and I installed the 20H2 version. I had ZERO issues prior to this 20H2 Update and it infuriates me. I typically leave my PC running all day then turn it off at night. While it's running, if I leave the room and come back a few hours later it will occassionaly be on a black screen and completely unresponsive. The PC is running and on, fans are running, lights are on, and my Razor Chroma devices are lit but not responsive either. Their fluid lighting effects are locked up also. There is nothing I can do except do a hard shutoff which I hate doing. Once I restart my sytem, everything is fine. It's almost like it's attempting to hybernate or sleep and then locks up, but I have disabled all of those options and even set my hard drive to never sleep. I refuse to reformat my drive only to reinstall the same broken mess and continue to have the same issues. It's obvious that there are quite a few people having the same issues and Microsoft replies with all these pain in the a#$ checks/tests that we need to run on our end to figure out what they broke. I'm a graphic artist and didn't get my degree to be a PC technician or software designer. I have no interest nor the time to sit here all day trying to diagnose my PC's problems. Get it together Microsoft and FIX WHAT YOU BROKE!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-05T23:37:38+00:00

    I am also having this problem. The only thing that helped me is booting into Safe Mode and then setting msconfig to Diagnostic Startup and rebooting. It doesn't start all of my applications and services, but it lets me open Notepad and other apps again.

    I am frustrated that this issue isn't getting any attention from the developers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-03T12:13:28+00:00

    I've been having the same problem with my laptop crashing after the windows updates. Just tried disconnecting my external hard drives as a last resort and it seemed to start up as normal.... Now, I don't know if its something wrong with my external hard drives or if its was just my laptop getting confused...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-03-25T15:13:33+00:00

    Hey StebeD,

    Indeed it's good (not really i know) that more people experiencing similar issues share their experiences so we can give as much feedback to Microsoft as possible and hopefuly in the next couple of updates coming out they find a fix and issue it so these issues and similar get sorted.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Best regards,

    AM

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments