File History Does Not Work

Anonymous
2021-02-17T10:20:46+00:00

Hi,

For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home (20H2) has stopped working.

In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up".

On clicking "Back up Now", a "Cancel" button appears after a few seconds with no back up having taken place.

On clicking "Advanced options" and clicking on "Run Now", an error message gets displayed, "We can't copy files to your File History Drive; Failed to initiate user data back-up (Error 80070005)".

I had even contacted MS Support (tier 1) and gone through a remote PC access session but the problem persists.

I'd be grateful to receive advice.

AKS

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-07T11:54:47+00:00

    The file will only affect file history, which is not working now....  There is nothing to lose.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-07T06:06:35+00:00

    I have only this one version. I would however expect it to be multi-language?

    The detailed file properties say either "english"  (your file 10.0.19041.1) or "french" (my file 10.0.19041.804). Therefore I have a doubt whether I should replace it or not, although the risk is low.

    Thanks  anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-06T16:56:31+00:00

    I have only this one version. I would however expect it to be multi-language?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-06T16:44:29+00:00

    Rename function proclaims "Access is denied". Why is this happening?

    How does one "copy the pre KB4601319  fhcfg.dll to system 32" with the file downloaded from the download URL you've so graciously provided please?

    Yeah, Redmond won't own this one. Rather criminal IMHO- selling/"supporting" (notice the quotations) goods that do not perform as promised.

    You need to go into the security settings for the original file and then take ownership of the file.  Once that is complete, you will be able to replace it. By default, it is owned by the "Trusted Installer" and can't be changed by a user.

    This file is only used by "File History" so there is no reason to change back and force with the new one.  The file stands for File History Configuration...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-06T16:19:39+00:00

    Hi, thanks for the analysis and the download ! However, would you have the french version of fhcfg.dll ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments