Windows 10 Install not recognizing new SSD

Anonymous
2021-02-16T00:50:56+00:00

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to install windows on a new ssd through a windows 10 media creation tool install on a USB drive. I get as far as setup, where I try to install windows to a drive, and by new drive doesn't show up. The drive has never been partitioned or used before. I already tried shift+f10, and the only drive that pops up is my USB. The drive shows up in BIOS. 

Thanks!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-19T19:32:47+00:00

    I do, I did, it didn’t. It’s so wierd, this is a drive with win10 on it too. It can boot to desktop fine enough, as old as is, but it doesn’t show up on install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T21:15:55+00:00

    Ok. Perhaps Windows 10 32 bit is the issue since not much driver development by manufacturers have been done.

    Hopefully your SSD will be recognized by the Windows 10 64 Bit install media.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T20:37:10+00:00

    Hey,

    I got as far as the the select drivers page on install, and it didn’t detect anything. I think this is because I installed win 10 32 on the drive, and it didn’t look like there was a driver for it on the file list. Another wierd thing that has been happening: when I try to boot from my UEFI drive, it no longer boots to windows setup. It seems to not be booting from the usb at all. When I select the UEFI drive in the bios boot override section, the screen goes black briefly and then just doesn’t boot. And even wierder, when I select the drive as the preferred boot drive, it boots to windows. I’m going to format the drive this evening, download win 10 64, and then try again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T14:46:13+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-16T19:58:05+00:00

    Great. I’ll still be able to boot off the same drive, right?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments