Browsers wont work on my PC

Anonymous
2020-06-29T15:40:27+00:00

A short while ago I bought a PC [It's a custom PC made for gaming] from a good buddy of mine so I could have one of my own. After setting everything up and sending me on my way, I tried to get a new internet browser for it so I could comfortably do the things I want. I've run into issues with every browser I've downloaded, and neither he or I have been able to solve the issue.

What typically happens is when I click on a browser to launch it [Google Chrome, Opera GX, or Firefox] it will attempt to launch the browser in question, then a tab will pop up and immediately disappear again, seemingly either shutting itself down for some reason, or the browser hiding itself in my background functions, the tab inaccessible. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer will work just fine on my computer despite all this. Any and all assistance would be appreciated greatly.

-Blake

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-30T01:50:54+00:00

I dont see any suspect startup processes or running processes as a potential cause ... with one exception. I see a process running called wpcmon.exe. This is otherwise known as the Family Safety Monitor. It has a feature that controls Internet browsing and may have been configured in a way that is preventing the browser from launching. Try killing that process from Task Manager (would likely require administrative privileges) and see if the browser launches.

Incidentally, I can see processes running for microsoftedgecp.exe, which is the legacy version of the Microsoft Edge browser, so currently you should download the latest Edge Chromium browser and install it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/450109...

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-30T01:21:51+00:00

    Oh my bad. Give me a moment and Ill tey to link the actual file

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-30T01:15:29+00:00

    The msinfo32 log you uploaded actually seems to be the shortcut to the file and not the report itself. As for the video, I suspected that behavior already.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-30T01:11:47+00:00

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Polh0NS2cR52eZu1iqXfHNYk4vlWdka/view?usp=sharing

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hGNi9qTGaWRRTMPUzuZlsnDdy\_D55AIl/view?usp=sharing

    Here. The first one in the ms32 you requested, and the second link is a short video I took with my phone of me trying to launch the browsers from my desktop, maybe so you can just see and think about another option. I have tried looking through all of my files extensively and I personally am completely lost on where the user data folder4s are actually located. I've searched, I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused, but I'm just not very knowledgeable with computers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-30T00:35:05+00:00

    It doesn't appear then that the browser processes are crashing, or, if they are they are not creating the type of an exception that the crash debugger is capturing.

    Can you click Start > type msinfo32 > File > Save and send me the report?

    Also, do you have another profile you can logon with to test if this problem happens in the context of that user?

    For Google Chrome and MS Edge, user data could be contributing to the crashes. Lets clean those up.

    For Chrome, go to %localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data and delete all files and subfolder in that directory.

    For MS Edge, go %localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data and do the same.

    When you launch the browser, it will recreate the data fresh. Note, if you have bookmarks you want to keep, extract the bookmarks file from the User Data\Default folder before hand for both paths.

    Finally, have you reinstalled Chrome and Edge?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments