Browsers wont work on my PC

Anonymous
2020-06-29T15:40:27+00:00

A short while ago I bought a PC [It's a custom PC made for gaming] from a good buddy of mine so I could have one of my own. After setting everything up and sending me on my way, I tried to get a new internet browser for it so I could comfortably do the things I want. I've run into issues with every browser I've downloaded, and neither he or I have been able to solve the issue.

What typically happens is when I click on a browser to launch it [Google Chrome, Opera GX, or Firefox] it will attempt to launch the browser in question, then a tab will pop up and immediately disappear again, seemingly either shutting itself down for some reason, or the browser hiding itself in my background functions, the tab inaccessible. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer will work just fine on my computer despite all this. Any and all assistance would be appreciated greatly.

-Blake

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-30T01:50:54+00:00

I dont see any suspect startup processes or running processes as a potential cause ... with one exception. I see a process running called wpcmon.exe. This is otherwise known as the Family Safety Monitor. It has a feature that controls Internet browsing and may have been configured in a way that is preventing the browser from launching. Try killing that process from Task Manager (would likely require administrative privileges) and see if the browser launches.

Incidentally, I can see processes running for microsoftedgecp.exe, which is the legacy version of the Microsoft Edge browser, so currently you should download the latest Edge Chromium browser and install it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/450109...

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T16:19:53+00:00

    As much as I would love to, That would be near impossible. When I launch, say Google Chrome, a window will appear for roughly half a second and then disappear just as fast. It always appears as a window frame, meaning nothing appears inside the border before it crashes/disappears. I never get error codes either which further complicates things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T16:10:42+00:00

    is it possible to capture a screen using PrintScreen and let us know what it looks like? can you see the message inside the tab before it shutdown?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T16:06:34+00:00

    Hello Jeremy. I've just tried this potential solution but It has not worked like I had hoped. The browsers still will not function as previously stated.

    -Blake

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-29T15:52:13+00:00

    Hi Blake, My name is Jeremy, a Windows Independent Adviser. I'll be happy to help you out today. Let’s see what I can do.

    I understand your frustration there and I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause you. Rest assured that I will do my best to help you

    Please try to do the following for a possible solution.

    1. Press on Windows + Q and type CMD, right-click Command prompt and Run as Admin
    2. When Command Prompt opens, enter sfc /scannow and press Enter to run it

    The first line enter " netsh winsock reset "

    Then press enter

    The second line enter " netsh int ip reset "

    Then press enter, restart the computer and check if you can use other browsers after that.

    Let me know if it works

    Kind regards,

    Jeremy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments