Forza Horizon 4 - Game crashes - I have the solution

Anonymous
2020-04-25T23:36:59+00:00

Hi.

I see many Forza Horizon 4 threads or other games using Windows 10 and the support consultants tells people to uninstall the Windows 10 1909-build update/KB from peoples PC. Forza devs recommends to uninstall it.

One thing that fixed every game and loading crash or when alt-tabbing was to go into the task manager on my PC after launching the game and I had to go to Taskmanager -> Processes -> from here I had to end the task: Xbox Game Bar.

After I did that, I no longer have game crashes after loading my save, starting a multiplayer session or when alt-tabbing from the game.

Just wanted to let you all know that it was all a Xbox Game Bar-bug while using Windows 10 1909-build. It's not recommended to uninstall a big build-update containing several security and Windows-patches that are recommended to have on a PC, but what the heck: If that is what I must do to play Forza, I rather do that to be able to play.

Update 2021: A full reinstall of a a newer build than Windows 10 1909, also lets me play Forza - for the ones that consider doing it. Build 2004 works fine. I won't update past that build, until Forza Horizon 5 comes in the future, which will most definitely make sure that I won't play Horizon 4 anymore.

These builds works with or without clean-installs with Windows 10. Try both a clean install or rollback to these builds:

Windows 10, build 1809 (still a bit unstable while using Windows, but works well ingame without performance-loss).
Windows 10, build 2004 (The most stable build for Windows 10-usage, Forza Horizion 4 and other games which I have played and still play)

When you have installed or rolled back to one of these to Windows 10-builds, follow this guild, scroll down the website and follow everything for "Option 3":
https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/disable-update-windows-10.html    <--- What this guide using method 3 does, is helping you to disable automatic updates on your Windows 10 PC, so that the PC never updates to a newer Windows 10 build, unless you go to Windows Update and click on "Download". This makes sure that you won't be upgraded to the Windows 10 builds below, which don't work for this game.

These Windows 10-builds don't work well with Forza Horizion 4:

Windows 10, build 1903
Windows 10, build 1909
Windows 10, build 20H2

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-12T10:20:53+00:00

    I know Iam a bit late, the crashing of FH4 is display drivers from Nvidia only. Tried everything and came to a stop after I installed Version 432.00 which worked wonders not 436.30, wrong version. Problem is the newer games forces you to update. Is there any other solutions cuase if you run on 432.00, everything works perfectly

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-27T07:00:24+00:00

    i just downloaded forza horizon 4  today off of the microsoft store, when trying to open the app, it will come up with "Forza Horizon 4" and then crash soon after, usually 5 - 10 seconds

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-01T00:33:38+00:00

    I am also running windows 10 2004 updated sometime this month (Sept. 2020). recently bought the game and haven't been able to get past the load screen once.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-28T02:39:43+00:00

    Not working for me either, Windows 10 build 2004. Launching from game pass it just ends up crashing to a gray screen after main menu. Tried ending the game bar process but still crashed on me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-24T06:33:37+00:00

    hey 

    i recently updated my pc to windows 10 2004 , i have tried all the options mentioned like resetting the game bar ..ending its task in task manager but still my forza horizon 4 is not working kindly bring up a solution if possible..!

    thank u

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments