Forza Horizon 4 - Game crashes - I have the solution

Anonymous
2020-04-25T23:36:59+00:00

Hi.

I see many Forza Horizon 4 threads or other games using Windows 10 and the support consultants tells people to uninstall the Windows 10 1909-build update/KB from peoples PC. Forza devs recommends to uninstall it.

One thing that fixed every game and loading crash or when alt-tabbing was to go into the task manager on my PC after launching the game and I had to go to Taskmanager -> Processes -> from here I had to end the task: Xbox Game Bar.

After I did that, I no longer have game crashes after loading my save, starting a multiplayer session or when alt-tabbing from the game.

Just wanted to let you all know that it was all a Xbox Game Bar-bug while using Windows 10 1909-build. It's not recommended to uninstall a big build-update containing several security and Windows-patches that are recommended to have on a PC, but what the heck: If that is what I must do to play Forza, I rather do that to be able to play.

Update 2021: A full reinstall of a a newer build than Windows 10 1909, also lets me play Forza - for the ones that consider doing it. Build 2004 works fine. I won't update past that build, until Forza Horizon 5 comes in the future, which will most definitely make sure that I won't play Horizon 4 anymore.

These builds works with or without clean-installs with Windows 10. Try both a clean install or rollback to these builds:

Windows 10, build 1809 (still a bit unstable while using Windows, but works well ingame without performance-loss).
Windows 10, build 2004 (The most stable build for Windows 10-usage, Forza Horizion 4 and other games which I have played and still play)

When you have installed or rolled back to one of these to Windows 10-builds, follow this guild, scroll down the website and follow everything for "Option 3":
https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/disable-update-windows-10.html    <--- What this guide using method 3 does, is helping you to disable automatic updates on your Windows 10 PC, so that the PC never updates to a newer Windows 10 build, unless you go to Windows Update and click on "Download". This makes sure that you won't be upgraded to the Windows 10 builds below, which don't work for this game.

These Windows 10-builds don't work well with Forza Horizion 4:

Windows 10, build 1903
Windows 10, build 1909
Windows 10, build 20H2

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-27T18:11:10+00:00

    If you want to try to reinstall an earlier version you can get them at Microsoft Tech Bench here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

    Burn to DVD using WIndows Image Burner or create bootable flash using one of the options here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

    Then this time follow the gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    The reason I suggest this is that no one who has adopted the install in the above link has ever come back to report further problems I've seen, including another version failure. This is because everything in Windows 10 is dependent upon the quality of the install, especially Version Updates which will choke on lesser quality installs. Whether we like it or not, this is where we are in Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-27T06:17:58+00:00

    That option isn't there as I haven't had any other OS builds installed on this PC. Windows 10 1909 is the only build that was pre-installed with MCT. I have tried all the steps that you suggested.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-26T21:32:22+00:00

    You should have a Go Back in Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Go Back to Last Version for ten days even if you used MCT. Check there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-26T21:23:21+00:00

    Trying to use the built-in admin did not work, but alot of people says that using Windows 10 1909 gives alot of crashes in Forza. Using 1809 or 1903 is stable for the game. When will the 2004 build start going out to PC's, May I suppose? I tried to install it using the insider-option, but the installation fails. Also fails using the ISO-setup after extracting it to a folder and using setup.exe.

    I cannot downgrade Build 1909 to 1903 since I installed Windows 10 using the media creation tool that downloads the 1909 build, so that's why I cannot rollback to previous builds since the 1909 build does not have an uninstall-option from add/remove programs -> View updates.

    Is doing a clean install of Windows 10 1809 the only option then? I could wait for build 2004 to see if that resolves the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-26T04:11:02+00:00

    None of these suggestions worked. I am currently trying to use the Windows built-in account "Administrator" to see if that helps. Many around the web have said that it works. If we do that, the game will be elevated using admin-rights. If starting the game and playing the game using another account, even if that user account have admin-rights, it won't start using admin-rights and there is no way to right-click on the Forza H2 shortcut and select "Run as administrator" as usual with other games.

    I will get back to you If running the game using the account "Administrator" works. If that works, I will continue to use that account on regular basis instead of my other account that I had to create during the clean Windows-installation steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments