How do I get BitLocker recovery key with my Key ID

Anonymous
2020-04-29T09:23:43+00:00

<Locked>

Good afternoon,

My laptop Dell Inspiron suddenly crushed - after restarting it reads that the harddrive is not installed. It is asking for BitLocker Recovery key and below it provides 8 digits of Key ID. I never heard of BitLocker and I tried to access it through my Microsoft account  where it says it's not there. Is there any way how can I recover the BitLocker Recovery key using the 8 digits of Key ID? Please help!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-04T21:40:40+00:00

I figured it out.  The web site to access the Bitlocker recovery keys has changed.  Go to https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-29T10:07:54+00:00

Hi Martina -

This is Orlando, an Independent Advisor and an expert with Windows 10.

I understand that you're having issues tryin to find your BitLocker Recovery Key and that you only have the 8 Digits Key ID.

BitLocker is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure from lost, stolen, or inappropriately decommissioned computers. You can find more details about BitLocker on this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

There are several places that your recovery key may be, depending on the choice that was made when activating BitLocker:

  1. Thru your Microsoft Account
  2. On a Printout you saved
  3. On a USB Flash Drive
  4. It is held by your system administrator

Please refer to this link on finding your BitLocker recovery key in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/453047...

The above list are the only way to recover your BitLocker recovery key. You might want to check with the OEM of your computer to check if they are the one who setup the BitLocker of your computer if the above list does not have your recovery key.

Hope this helps, have a good day.

Thanks,

Orlando Q.

Independent Advisor

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

63 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-21T19:40:50+00:00

    I used the elevated command; manage-bde -protectors X: -get (X = C) and got the same Recovery Key ID and a TPM ID. I was very hopeful, but BitLocker accepts only numbers. The TPM ID includes letters and I am still locked out. Any more help at the command prompt??

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-17T14:59:56+00:00

    Good afternoon,

    My laptop Dell Inspiron suddenly crushed - after restarting it reads that the harddrive is not installed. It is asking for BitLocker Recovery key and below it provides 8 digits of Key ID. I never heard of BitLocker and I tried to access it through my Microsoft account  where it says it's not there. Is there any way how can I recover the BitLocker Recovery key using the 8 digits of Key ID? Please help!

    Yes, I flipped threw alot of these replys, they're modest and to be honest their offering the proper recommendations for the bitlock... Well now thats where I come in, I don't work for microsoft, but I helped building windows 10.Sorry but as a Ex BlackHat, I love bypassing/finding loopholes. You just Google bitlock. Why? Simple chances are your not the 1st person with this exact same problem. But im sure you and most any one who decides to read my ranting might sink in to some people's mind? But Heck you can replace the hard drive or SSD, you can open the terminal (sorry not linux) command line or reset the pc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-29T14:22:44+00:00

    Hi Martina -

    Thanks for the reply and I apologize for my delayed response.

    I understand that you have your 8 Digit Key ID but the Key ID can only be used to match the recovery key that you have. It's some sort of username for the BitLocker and the recovery key will be your password.

    Did you purchase the computer to another person or directly thru the OEM of the computer?

    They probably can help us recovering the key for the BitLocker security on your computer.

    Hope this helps, have a good day.

    Thanks,

    Orlando Q.

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments