How do I get BitLocker recovery key with my Key ID

Anonymous
2020-04-29T09:23:43+00:00

<Locked>

Good afternoon,

My laptop Dell Inspiron suddenly crushed - after restarting it reads that the harddrive is not installed. It is asking for BitLocker Recovery key and below it provides 8 digits of Key ID. I never heard of BitLocker and I tried to access it through my Microsoft account  where it says it's not there. Is there any way how can I recover the BitLocker Recovery key using the 8 digits of Key ID? Please help!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-04T21:40:40+00:00

I figured it out.  The web site to access the Bitlocker recovery keys has changed.  Go to https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-29T10:07:54+00:00

Hi Martina -

This is Orlando, an Independent Advisor and an expert with Windows 10.

I understand that you're having issues tryin to find your BitLocker Recovery Key and that you only have the 8 Digits Key ID.

BitLocker is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure from lost, stolen, or inappropriately decommissioned computers. You can find more details about BitLocker on this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

There are several places that your recovery key may be, depending on the choice that was made when activating BitLocker:

  1. Thru your Microsoft Account
  2. On a Printout you saved
  3. On a USB Flash Drive
  4. It is held by your system administrator

Please refer to this link on finding your BitLocker recovery key in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/453047...

The above list are the only way to recover your BitLocker recovery key. You might want to check with the OEM of your computer to check if they are the one who setup the BitLocker of your computer if the above list does not have your recovery key.

Hope this helps, have a good day.

Thanks,

Orlando Q.

Independent Advisor

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

63 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-05T16:20:59+00:00

    Hi , I have the same problem. I never enabled BitLocker on my Dell laptop but all of sudden it is asking me for the key. I set up windows10 myself but never enabled BitLocker neither I have it in my Microsoft account. Have spent hours with Dell and Microsoft tech support but no luck. They keep redirecting to each other or to the same documents which ask to check in Microsoft account, print, or USB. Is anyone able to help on how to recover the key or at least boot system by any mean so that I can recover my important files?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-27T23:22:58+00:00

    The answer is not posted above.  Yes, if you go to the live link that was provided the key will be available once you login to your MS account.  However, IF you did NOT set up a key with MS in the beginning it will not be displayed.  Scenario:  I have received my deceased family members surface pro.  I am trying to reset the entire device to factory settings.  However, this cannot be done with out the darn key.  So, with the responses already provided many times.  Please share with me HOW to exactly recreate the bitlocker key?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-19T20:01:14+00:00

    How do i find my bit lovler recovery key for my acount when it says there isnt one ? 

    You'll need to contact whoever set up your computer and get the key from them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments