Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Anonymous
2019-10-19T17:48:04+00:00

I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software.

Network adapter drivers are the latest.

I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue.

I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks.

Both Wifi and Ethernet are private newtorks and say that in the status.

I have 3 computers connected.  All are windows 10. 

On each PC I see the same 2.

On the PC that I cannot see on the network I can only see the other 2 and I cannot see myself.

Why am I not able to see myself on the network?  If I solve that I will surely be able to be seen by the other 2 PC in the netwotk.  

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-30T01:48:34+00:00

    I think I can CAUSE the problem by running AdwCleaner with ALL options selected:

    • Delete IFEO keys
    • Delete tracing keys
    • Delete Prefetch files
    • Reset Proxy
    • Reset Chrome policies
    • Reset TCP/IP
    • Reset Firewall
    • Reset IPSec
    • Reset BITS
    • Reset IE policies
    • Reset Winsock
    • Reset Host files

    I suppose I could take a working computer that can share and can see shares and can be seen, and then run AdwCleaner with ONE option selected at a time, reboot in between, and check to see if shares in and out still work, and then take note of the ONE option that kills shares.

    Perhaps someone has insight?

    Malwarebytes is responsible for the program now, and they ain't talking.

    Thanks everyone for exploring this and sharing.

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-30T00:53:04+00:00

    i noticed after setting thouse service to automatic, my computer now wakes up on its own at random, set network adapter not not let wake up windows , no go , changing services back, i create a shortcut to shared folder seemed to solve problem for me, missing from explorer still but the short cut opens, strange.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-25T23:47:34+00:00

    i just stumbled on something, previously  i created a shortcut to the shared folder on the desktop from the other pc, and it disappeared again in explorer so i clicked the shortcut on the desktop and it opened the folder no problem even though the computer disappeared from network in explorer , that would be a bug for sure

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-25T21:42:02+00:00

    thanks ,  that work around works , although im trying to find the cause, 

    i suspect some driver issue with some older cards running drivers from 2012 on new windows 10 like my senerio, i as i have network same setup at my friends with his computers, and not happening, hut its happening to mine and many others after doing a search, so im trying to get to the bottom of it as it not normal practice have to change services, it is only happening to some so it has to be at the hardware driver level.  so i bet if i switch out me computer or put in new network card , issue would be solved the right way.

    otherwise Microsoft would fix it if it was their issue , but its not its up to the driver manufacture to evolve with the os, also it could be a power management issue as shared folder is on second drive , so drive goes to sleep, when i wake it up , driver does not put services needed back on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-25T20:54:41+00:00

    This worked for me.  It advises you to set some services to automatic start.

    Network Computers No Longer Present in File Explorer on Windows 10 1803 | Windows Unplugged

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments