Microsoft Family - Child can remove themselves from the family

Anonymous
2020-01-05T10:56:06+00:00

I have setup Microsoft Family with my children added as child accounts.

My children can login to their accounts at family.microsoft.com and simply click the link "Leave family group" and they are removed from the group and from any screen time limits etc.

This seems like a serious issue as it negates the point of setting any restrictions if it is this easy to circumvent them.

Please advise if there are additional settings required to prevent children from removing themselves from the family group.

I've checked the DOB for each child and that is correct.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Family and online safety

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-25T12:27:12+00:00

    Sad that this glitch is patched 

    I really hope that some other glitch like this would hapen because even dought I respect my parents but they are to stirck.

    Like I am 16 year old boy and my parents set up sreen time for me its 30 mins so hopuffuly another glith apiers

    Sorry for bad English

    I have the urge to write up a petition to end this monstrosity Microsoft created.
    and also your English is fine, its understandable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-25T11:46:31+00:00

    Sad that this glitch is patched 

    I really hope that some other glitch like this would hapen because even dought I respect my parents but they are to stirck.

    Like I am 16 year old boy and my parents set up sreen time for me its 30 mins so hopuffuly another glith apiers

    Sorry for bad English

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-17T03:13:28+00:00

    So, so, so disappointing Microsoft.  What a joke that it is so easy for 13 year-old to opt out of this.

    Shame on you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-15T05:48:33+00:00

    Anyone find a fix? My 16 year old left out microsoft family today. Thank the Lord I caught it as I did not even see emailes on it. I recived a text witb a microsoft code that tipped me off. :( 

    I wish someone would start a comany that would keep track of all these changes. Alert parents what they need to adjust. Instead of me playing detective all the time.  I spend way to much time on this. I miss books and paper!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T14:15:00+00:00

    COPPA does not address or state that 13 or over can be unmanaged.  That is an inappropriate inference by Microsoft.  COPPA is explicitly to address under 13.  That does not mean that 13 and older are completely capable of managing their own content and access.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments