Automatic duplex printing no longer available on my HP Envy

Anonymous
2020-01-25T11:37:07+00:00

Hi, hope someone can help.

Overnight, my printer has stopped doing automatic duplex printing on PDF documents. It is an HP Envy 4520.

I have not made any changes to hardware or software/or done any upgrades etc. I use Windows 10. I have tried to update the device driver but it is up to date.

I have tried using the HP smart app as seen on another thread but it still requires me to manually move the paper to print the second side. 

Under printer properties it says double sided but if I look under device settings it now says 'not installed' next to 'automatic duplexing unit. 

I have not had this problem previously, and it was doing automatic double sided printing 2 days ago!

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-14T23:01:56+00:00

    I have just discovered that my HP Envy 4500 no longer prints double sided as well.  I have done nothing to change it but now it offers just the normal printing and I can manually do it which is nonsense.  No idea why this changed or what to do about it.  Seems this has happened to several people so perhaps this is due to the Windows 10 update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-24T18:14:29+00:00

    Thank goodness I decided to see if anyone else had this weird problem today after several months of irritation! The change to LPT2 worked for me (?? not LPT1 nor LPT3!!). So many thanks to everyone who located this fix. Very Grateful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-18T11:33:39+00:00

    Brilliant! yes that worked for me also. It has been bugging me for weeks, having upgraded to Surface pro.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-11T11:29:00+00:00

    I had exactly the same problem as the original poster. Other laptops and mobile printing duplex worked fine. Mine did not (but was printing duplex the previous day).

    Followed the Device settings and it kept reverting back to "manual" when trying to print.

    CHANGING THE PORTS eventually worked, but I had to go through each of the ports on the list to find which one worked, so it may NOT be the TCP/IP port. Try one of the other ports available first. 

    Mine was on LPT3: Printer port.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T14:33:24+00:00

    Try switching the port to TCP/IP as suggested in previous posts. That worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments