Can't connect to wifi after Windows Update

Anonymous
2019-03-05T07:27:52+00:00

I just installed the latest Windows Update, but after installing it, my PC can no longer connect to wi-fi. The network troubleshooter only tells me to connect an ethernet cable and doesn't offer any solutions for how to fix the wireless connection at all. In fact, everything that had to do with wireless connections in Network and Internet Settings seems to be missing entirely. Connecting using an ethernet cable is now the only way to connect to the Internet on my PC. It's inexcusable for a Windows Update to do this to my PC.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T21:33:11+00:00

    I have already tried alternating between normal boot, with everything enabled, and clean boot, with everything disabled, multiple times.  I still have not been able to get the wifi connection to come back.

    I am now retrying all of the steps you listed above again, although I don't know if that's going to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T21:21:45+00:00

    Then try to perform a normal boot, selecting It on the First Page of msconfig. Once rebooted, try again the procedure of clean boot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T20:20:07+00:00

    I tried all the steps you suggested, but those steps did not fix it. 

    Then I tried the clean boot for, by disabling everything in startup and disabling all services in system configuration. Upon restarting, my wifi features actually worked. I could connect to wifi, like I was supposed to. 

    But then when I followed the steps listed to isolate the service that may be causing the problem, by systematically starting the services and restarting each time, to find out which one results in disabling my wifi connection, my wifi connection hasn't returned, even after disabling every service again. I have tried repeatedly to recreate the conditions that resulted in my wifi connection working that first time that I tried the clean boot, but I have been unable to do so. Now, even with all services disabled, it still can't connect to wifi. I don't know why it worked that one time, but hasn't worked since, even though I've tried disabling all services again, just like I did that first time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T23:40:20+00:00

    I am now retrying all of the steps you listed above again, although I don't know if that's going to help. 

    I have now tried all of the suggested steps at least twice.

    The only instance of seemingly achieving any progress was the first time I performed a clean boot, when the wifi connection actually worked. But after that, I tried following the steps to isolate the problem and then after restarting the computer, all of my wireless features have disappeared again. I have tried repeating the entire sequence of steps again, but the wifi hasn't worked again. It just worked that one time, but I don't know why it was different that time. 

    I have been trying to fix this for over 11 hours, but haven't been able to connect back to wifi.

    I would like to know if rolling back the Windows Update is an option and, if so, how to do that and how to prevent Windows from updating again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T08:28:31+00:00

    Right click on realtek adapter and follow the others instructions

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments