Display brightness at max after 1803 update

Anonymous
2018-05-03T16:42:57+00:00

Hello!

I upgraded my laptop over the weekend to Windows 10 1803. I noticed my display was set to max brightness. I am unable to use the F keys to lower the brightness. I am also unable to change the brightness in the display settings. My drivers are all updated. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I have a Toshiba Satellite with the Intel (R) HD Graphics.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-12T22:09:54+00:00

    The problem solved.

    I had this problem with windows 10 1803 ;

    Its different with other solutions but similar.

    Solution:

    **+**Press Windows key + X

    **+**Click Device Manager 

    **+**Expand Display adapters 

    **+**Right click your current display adapter ( in my system , It is Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 )

    **+**Click Uninstall device

    **+**Check "Delete the driver software for this device.”

    + Restart you system

    (Again)

    **+**Press Windows key + X

    **+**Click Device Manager 

    **+**Expand Display adapters 

    **+**Right click your current display adapter

    *(*This time)

    + Click update driver

    + Click "Search automatically for updated driver software."

    + Reset your system again

    It will be your answer,I hope. (It worked for me)

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-27T22:51:00+00:00

    This solution from Ferdz Amp solved my problem.

    For those still encountering this issue, I recommend that you follow these steps and see if the issue persists:

    1. In Windows start search box, type in regedit and hit Enter.
    2. Navigate to the following key:
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 /0000
    3. Double-click the item of FeatureTestControl, set the hexadecimal value to "fb20", and click OK.
    4. Reboot your computer to reflect the changes.

    Registry Disclaimer: The steps mentioned here includes system registry modification. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow the steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: Article ID 322756.

    Let me know how it goes.

    The written location for FeatureTestControl was different on my system. The location was:

    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001

    Please be aware that after doing this edit, selecting the lowest level of brightness will turn off your screen. This also means that if you are running on battery (laptop) and you select the power mode "Best battery life" or Windows automatically switches to "Best battery life" upon unplugging the charger, your screen will be turned OFF! This is not a major concern since you can just turn up the brightness to the next lowest level via the FN+F3 (key combo might differ on other laptop brands) keyboard control shortcut and the screen will be turned back ON.

    Taken from here:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/screen-brightness-stuck-at-maximum-after-updating/2c364180-cab4-4704-b07f-701a1bac89a5?tm=1525126129348

    Worked so perfectly for me!

    God bless you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T12:15:07+00:00

    Hi. I have same issue (brightness at lowest level, and can't be changed after upgrading to Win10 1803). I have HP ProBook 4320s. Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-04T18:29:37+00:00

    Ok, that's for an NVIDIA graphics card. I looked for Intel HD Graphics and installed that one. It's an older driver but it fixed the brightness issue. Hopefully, nothing else breaks using this older driver.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-03T18:23:10+00:00

    What is the exact make and model?

    Open Start, type: system information

    Hit Enter

    Click System summary

    Look in the right pane

    Copy the system sku info into reply here.

    See example: https://imgur.com/qzektpA

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments