Why is my Epson Scanner freezing after upgrading to Windows 10 Spring 2018

Anonymous
2018-05-23T11:36:11+00:00

i can only scan once before My scan software locks and i then have to cycle the scanner off/on and restart my scan software for the next scan.   This problem affects all my Epson devices that scan.  I tried reinstalling manufacturers software.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-10T12:18:21+00:00

    I've the same issue with my EPSON L355 network printer as well since the latest updates to Windows 10. Basically what happens is:

    Using network scan via wifi:

    • After opening "EPSON scan", the scan window appears. But what happens after a while of inactivity is that several smaller popup windows from EPSON scan also appeared and disappeared (i.e. the "flickering" behaviour) at one corner of the desktop screen. The entire scan application thereafter hangs, and the only way to close this would be to either click on the window to trigger the "application isn't responding" window, or use Task Manager to force close it. Sometimes, I may be lucky to scan one image, before EPSON scan freezes.
    • After force closing EPSON scan, reopening it results in a error window popping up which states "Network scanner is not available: currently being used by user. User: [...] [...] Epson Scan will close.". But the user name and IP address is actually myself, so in some sense the scanner got "locked out" itself.
    • The only workaround would be to turn off the scanner, close EPSON scan fully, and then turn it back on. But the same problems will appear again after scanning the first image (if lucky).

    Using USB connection:

    • EPSON scan likewise freezes
    • After force closing EPSON scan, reopening it results in a different error message: "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly setup and connected with no errors indicated. For detailed information, see Solving Problems in the User's Guide."
    • The only workaround would be to turn off the scanner, close EPSON scan fully, disconnect then reconnect the USB cable and then turn it back on. But the same problems will appear again.

    What I've done:

    • Reinstalled EPSON Scan to no success
    • Reinstalled the printer driver to no success
    • Tried using all the different dated versions of the printer driver and scan software to no success
    • Tried using all combinations of Windows Compatibility mode to no success
    • Installed the latest Windows updates to no success
    • Running EPSON scan as administrator to no success
    • Using system restore to no success

    Searching for the logs on Event Viewer (Windows logs > Application) gives the Error-level event:

    The program escndv.exe version 3.7.9.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel. <br><br> Process ID: ccc <br><br> Start Time: 01d4184674e8e8ea <br><br> Termination Time: 10 <br><br> Application Path: C:\Windows\twain_32\escndv\escndv.exe <br><br> Report Id: 8e72ddf9-1cc5-4ac8-98f8-901c93f2f55a <br><br> Faulting package full name:  <br><br> Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Description <br><br><br><br>A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. <br><br>Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\twain_32\escndv\escndv.exe <br><br> <br><br>Problem signature <br><br>Problem Event Name: AppHangB1 <br><br>Application Name: escndv.exe <br><br>Application Version: 3.7.9.0 <br><br>Application Timestamp: 4e95849d <br><br>Hang Signature: 0c74 <br><br>Hang Type: 134217728 <br><br>OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101 <br><br>Locale ID: 1033 <br><br>Additional Hang Signature 1: 0c74dae1ea61bec146b2a9758e2c4019 <br><br>Additional Hang Signature 2: 4c25 <br><br>Additional Hang Signature 3: 4c2564a254831cb0adbd4a37d00bae08 <br><br>Additional Hang Signature 4: 0c74 <br><br>Additional Hang Signature 5: 0c74dae1ea61bec146b2a9758e2c4019 <br><br>Additional Hang Signature 6: 4c25 <br><br>Additional Hang Signature 7: 4c2564a254831cb0adbd4a37d00bae08 <br><br> <br><br>Extra information about the problem <br><br>Bucket ID: 7551e0bace97171409d8ac9a4133aa56 (1862428224436546134)
    Fault bucket 1862428224436546134, type 5 <br><br>Event Name: AppHangB1 <br><br>Response: Not available <br><br>Cab Id: 0 <br><br> <br><br>Problem signature: <br><br>P1: escndv.exe <br><br>P2: 3.7.9.0 <br><br>P3: 4e95849d <br><br>P4: 0c74 <br><br>P5: 134217728 <br><br>P6:  <br><br>P7:  <br><br>P8:  <br><br>P9:  <br><br>P10:

    So basically I've no idea what else I could do to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-05T08:29:37+00:00

    Hello,

    Yes the compatibility mode worked for me as well, however with my Windows 10 I did not find the "compatible" feature in the properties window, I found it as described on this post-https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-compatibility-mode-windows-10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-30T16:42:20+00:00

    I applied a June Epson firmware update to my Epson XP-830 Expression Premium printer/scanner.  So far no more problems.   I am able to Scan, Save and rescan new documents without any problems.   However, my 6-7 year old Epson V700 photo scanner is still not working quite right. I am going to see if setting compatibility to SP3 will work provide in doing so does not interfere with my newer printer.  Both devices use a different EXE file.  Thanks for the post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-28T22:34:22+00:00

    I have had this exact same problem for a couple of weeks.

    "Fixed" for now by setting compatibility mode to XP SP3 and running as admin.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-27T11:48:23+00:00

    I also have this problem.  It seems to scan the documents, but then when it gets to the "save file/add a page/edit" option at the end, it freezes.  A small dialogue box with no text opens and either repeatedly closes and opens or constantly refreshes (I can't tell which) and that's it.  No further progress happens.

    Reading earlier in this thread, I tried running as admin, and setting compatibility for XP SP 3.  Doing BOTH seems to work for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments