Google chrome starts automatically on windows 10 startup !!

Anonymous
2017-11-23T11:59:56+00:00

Can anyone suggest me how to STOP Google Chrome from automatic launch during Windows 10 STARTUP ?

This problem started after few regular boots post updating Windows 10 to Build 1709 (OS build 16299.64) & Chrome to latest version(Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit)). I've already checked the Startup tab from the taskbar , which I earlier Disabled for chrome from startup. But it is annoying every time I boot. 

[Moved to: Windows / Windows 10 /  Windows settings]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-15T16:59:51+00:00

    I think I found it!  I went to Chrome settings, chose Advanced Options, and close to the bottom I found under System: Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed. 

    This was on.  I turned it off. 

    I also re-entered the specific pages to open on start up, just to be clear, in the normal settings options.

    Everything worked as it should have when I brought up my system twice this morning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T17:29:00+00:00

    I've also experienced this exact thing, before the latest windows update it would never launch on start, but now it does and I find it annoying as chrome takes forever to load and it makes the whole startup process slow. For me; it's not even listed in the start up-tab in the taskmgr.

    Not only chrome, but since updating windows, Spotify has also started tagging along in the start-process, another slow to start-program and once again not visible in the task manager, you dun goofed microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-25T16:00:01+00:00

    That's an interesting response, but not very helpful.  This wasn't an issue until the update.  My understanding is that the auto start features of windows should control what starts when I boot up.  Chrome isn't on that list.  Wouldn't that indicate there is something amiss in Windows?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T12:06:33+00:00

    Thank you.  Repair isn't an option for Chrome on my computer.  I'm not sure I understand how Google is responsible for the autostarting of a program in windows.  Certainly Google could make changes to work with Windows 10 more smoothly, but it seems to me that Microsoft needs to change something in autostart for this particular problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T04:29:29+00:00

    I'm having the same problem and it just started occurring recently.  Word is auto -starting upon reboot or shut down.  Do not see Chrome listed among the items in startup to uncheck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments