Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T06:13:21+00:00

    Doesn't apply to my situation as this pc doesn't have wifi cheers for the idea.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
    2018-03-30T14:24:54+00:00

    Please consider a clean install with the most recent ava Win10 (non-insider) Build, afterwards directly from the mfg site download all drivers missing, or consider using the Acer Live Updater available on your specific models Acer download page (please do not use any 3rd party updaters).

    As you have wiped your system multiple time, I assume you have a good backup, please consider updating your backup (i.e. FileHistory) (and/or manually copying data to an external drive and/or using OneDrive cloud storage) before clean installing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
    2018-03-24T12:17:48+00:00

    "It's an older version I made a while back that I used without issue" -> Have you tried to install with a new current Media Creation Tool media?  I respect some older devices may have compatibility issue,  what is the make and model of your device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
    2018-03-22T20:01:32+00:00

    "Allowed windows update to run after creators update installed issue reoccurred." -> I was confused, as the media creation tool, should have installed the most recent version of Windows 10 (1709) (Fall Creators Update).  What is the "update installed issue" that reoccurred?

    "my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page" -> is this still the issue you have occurring?  Do you sync your Firefox setting with Firefox "Sync now"?

    from another thread:

    "I went ahead with a registry hack." ->was that resolving another issue....

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more