After uninstalling the update assistant, you can also manually create the name of the installation folder -- C:\Windows10Upgrade -- and set its security permissions to full deny on all groups listed there. The reasoning is, you're robbing the assistant's ability to even reinstall itself, suppressing the assistant for as long as it can't access that folder; i.e., forever.
Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running
I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.)
How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-04-03T16:15:31+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-03-27T05:40:22+00:00 i totally agree, this is unacceptable, they dont care, they make too much money from spying on you, it doesnt matter if it bricks your PC or wastes your time, they make too much money on it, and for people that dont know, they just throw away their old computer and get another one, its a win win for microsoft at the expense of their customers and everyone knows it.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-25T18:27:35+00:00 I followed these steps, and after the third attempt, it worked! No more daily interruptions that tell me I have to reboot to update (but that won't work).
... until yesterday, when I got another "windows update assistant" popup. The scheduler and background tasks were still disabled, but yet it still found a way to get through and install itself.
I need a "leave me the heck alone" option for Windows.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-24T04:47:39+00:00 First, uninstall the Upgrade Assistant.
Open Control Panel > Programs and Features > Windows 10 Update Assistant
Select it then click Uninstall
Open C:\ drive
Select the Windows10Upgrade folder
Then delete it
That's right, but incomplete.
Once, I deleted the folder C:\windows10upgrade and thought that was it. But some day after Windows 10 just installed the Windows 10 Update Assistant ("the Assistant" after this) again.
Then I set up a rule monitoring program writing files to C:\windows10upgrade, and it let's me trace down to another folder: C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant.
I cannot think of a way to block this process because the command which tried to create this folder is:
C:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /V
Therefore I installed a HIPS product, and set another rule which stop from writing to these two folders.
This is a Chinese HIPS product called 火绒博锐, sorry that it doesn't have multi-language support. I believe most HIPS software have this type of customized rules.
And I don't know how to do so just by Windows itself. I've tried to set folder ACL to "Everyone-Deny-Any type of access", doesn't work. Maybe just because it's done by the system itself?
-
Anonymous
2018-03-08T10:15:30+00:00 Hello everybody,
One thing that is not clear to me is: If I follow this procedures to remove or block the windows assistant, will this freeze the system to the current settings including the Defender or antivirus will still get updates?