Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

Anonymous
2018-01-08T16:13:57+00:00

I'm running Windows 10 1607 on a system that isn't compatible with version 1709. But Windows thinks it is compatible, and so every day it runs Windows 10 Update Assistant and tries to download a 5GB update that will inevitably fail to install if I let it run. (I've set up a metered connection to block this from automatically happening.) 

How do I completely block Windows 10 Update Assistant from running?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-05T15:01:28+00:00

    This has to be disabled in task scheduler and I go a step further and block it with the firewall also. Here is the script that I used in my environment:

    ********************************************

    @echo off

    REM Stop Update Assistant if running

    taskkill -f -im UpdateAssistant.exe

    taskkill -f -im UpdateAssistantCheck.exe

    taskkill -f -im Windows10Upgrade.exe

    taskkill -f -im Windows10UpgraderApp.exe

    REM Block Update Assistant with Windows Firewall

    netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in

    netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistant.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistant.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistantCheck.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistantCheck.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistantV2\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistantV2\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" enable=yes

    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" enable=yes

    REM Disable Update Assistant Scheduled Tasks

    c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistant" /DISABLE

    c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantAllUsersRun" /DISABLE

    c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantCalendarRun" /DISABLE

    c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantWakeupRun" /DISABLE

    REM Remove Upgrader Application

    IF EXIST "C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" (

    "C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" /ForceUninstall

    timeout /t 30

    )

    exit

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-31T15:41:30+00:00

    Sorry that the permissions change didn't do it for you.

    For my further education could you check that download folder now & see if the permissions have returned to default?

    If it did, that would be a remarkable effort by Microsoft to totally control your pc.

    If not, it would mean Microsoft is using a new method to do updates.

    I have been update free now for 3 weeks. I did the folder permissions change but within a few days of that I also did the following Task Scheduler changes and maybe that is doing the trick.

    Under Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Task Scheduler, then Microsoft, then Windows you'll see 2 tabs - Update Orchestrator and Windows Update.

    Disable EVERYTHING inside of both. There will be a minimum of 4 items in each to disable.

    Then check your programs and if you have anything like Windows Update Assistant, uninstall it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-25T18:52:23+00:00

    I have the same problem and it just started this month. I am a certified technician (not solely Microsoft!) and have done everything that can possibly done to fix this disruption. This not only is an annoyance but it is a financial hindrance when things can't be done on time. Who loses the money and time? Not Microsoft and they don't seem to be held responsible for those of us that the update does not apply. Instead of trying to rush things to keep up with competitors how about taking time to develop something that has been tested and ready to launch for EVERYONE! I have been loyal to Microsoft for MANY years but the constant headaches are getting to be more frequent than few. You spend lots of money on a product and you expect it to work. I'm not saying things don't happen even with the best of things, but this is unacceptable.  It used to be if a company didn't produce a quality product they were held responsible by loss of sales,  replacements, sued or some form of accountability.  In today's world the greedy become more greedy and power goes to their head.  It is pathetic when their own "people" can't help. What's the point in that?  They know some will NEED to buy their product because it is all they know or are comfortable with their platform.  This update is like a someone annoying you all the time and that is considered harassment. To me this update is harassment because I can't install it and I cant get it to stop pushing its way in my system!!  I am beyond frustrated!!            It's obvious Microsoft does not monitor these complaints/questions. It is easier to ignore those with the issue than it is to spend money to have someone come up with a valid, usable solution!!  I liked Windows 10 Pro at first, now I am leaning more toward its one of their biggest flops.  It's all about power and control!  What happened to....If it isn't  broke don't FIX IT!  I know technology needs to change but make sure it works before tainting the water at least!! Not everyone can afford to buy a new computer to fit the OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-08T15:44:54+00:00

    First, uninstall the Upgrade Assistant.

    Open Control Panel > Programs and Features > Windows 10 Update Assistant

    Select it then click Uninstall

    Open C:\ drive

    Select the Windows10Upgrade folder

    Then delete it

    I've now done this again.

    Pernicious update! Maybe it'll just keep coming back every few days.

    It hasn't come back since then, I don't think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-07T23:13:07+00:00

    There are several scheduled tasks that are likely to re-install UpdateAssistant on a regular basis (daily?).  They are:

    • UpdateAssistant
    • UpdateAssistantCalendarRun
    • UpdateAssistantWakeupRun

    Here is a partial screenshot of my TaskSchd.msc (aka Task Scheduler) screen:

    You want to disable the UpdateAssistant-related scheduled tasks. This page, "**https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b4216132-56c8-4a26-a9ba-aaed31686775/how-can-i-block-windows-10-upgrade-assistant-from-reinstalling-itself?forum=win10itprogeneral**", suggests disabling all the triggers for these scheduled tasks, which should avoid the persistent resurrection of UpdateAssistant, and tells you how to do so.

    My laptop is evidently incompatible with 1709 (having hung during install numerous times), is not listed by Lenovo as having been tested, and Microsoft seems bent on making it very hard to avoid the pain surrounding this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments