GTA: Vice City problem on Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2017-05-21T21:30:14+00:00

I have checked the forums already and can't find a solution to my problem.  I'm not very technical and this will show.  My PC is only 3 years old.  Here goes:

I played Vice City on this PC two years ago.  It then stopped working (the game would start up fine but when I went to start/load a game the pink bar just sat there and the game crashed).  So I decided to buy it from Steam.  Same exact problem.

I tried everything I could come up with... opened some DEP thing and made it open Vice City. 

I tried every single compatibility setting available. 

Added "run as administrator"

I tried to change my own screen resolution but it can't go that low (640X480).

So now the game won't even start, I get the common issue that says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode".

I've watched Youtube videos and checked this forum (including Steam's) and cannot find a solution. 

I don't understand why this game would have worked 2 years ago but not now.

I'm desperate to play.  Please help me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-03T02:29:59+00:00

    Thank you for the information; but does this mean that there is nothing you can do for me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-06-01T12:03:44+00:00

    Since you purchased it from a retailer and you were unable to use uninstall and reinstall using a different installation media or source, you can create a new user account instead. This issue can be due to a corrupted user profile. Here's a link on how to create a user account in Windows. Follow the steps under Windows 8.1.

    Feel free to post back for the results after creating a new user account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-05-22T19:55:58+00:00

    Sorry, I already searched the forum for answers.  Like I said, I already tried to change compatibility.  From the page you sent me I jumped into this one:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

    Nothing on this list is working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-05-28T16:44:50+00:00

    Since you have made sure that all drivers are updated and the issue is still the same, we can try to uninstall the program then install it back again using a different installation media or source.

    Do update us on how it works after you uninstall and installed it back again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-05-25T21:06:50+00:00

    Please please please help me, I'm losing it here.  I have literally spent hours now trying to find a solution.  I'm not very tech-savvy so it just makes this all that much harder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments