GTA: Vice City problem on Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2017-05-21T21:30:14+00:00

I have checked the forums already and can't find a solution to my problem.  I'm not very technical and this will show.  My PC is only 3 years old.  Here goes:

I played Vice City on this PC two years ago.  It then stopped working (the game would start up fine but when I went to start/load a game the pink bar just sat there and the game crashed).  So I decided to buy it from Steam.  Same exact problem.

I tried everything I could come up with... opened some DEP thing and made it open Vice City. 

I tried every single compatibility setting available. 

Added "run as administrator"

I tried to change my own screen resolution but it can't go that low (640X480).

So now the game won't even start, I get the common issue that says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode".

I've watched Youtube videos and checked this forum (including Steam's) and cannot find a solution. 

I don't understand why this game would have worked 2 years ago but not now.

I'm desperate to play.  Please help me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-06-26T16:33:43+00:00

    Just to re-confirm, my PC is all up to date.  I don't want to go to Win10 right now because like I said, this game has worked on 8.1 in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-06-25T02:25:57+00:00

    I checked and my PC is all up to date.  I will not be upgrading to Windows 10 to play this game.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-06-23T16:47:08+00:00

    Hi,

    There may be few reasons why you are getting the error "Cannot find 640X480 video mode," please check if your Windows computer is still up to date. Since you have been able to try other steps in your pursuit to resolve this concern, you might as well check if your computer is updated. Click the link below to be guided on how you can keep your PC up to date. You may also want to try upgrading your computer system to Windows 10 to help avoid these kinds of issues.

    Windows Update.

    Please update us of the result for us to help you further.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-06-23T13:51:50+00:00

    Thanks for trying, but it still says "Cannot find 640X480 video mode"..

    Random side note, I still own the physical copy of the game and I try all of these suggestions for that one too, but neither is working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-06-19T12:29:43+00:00

    Hi,

    We appreciate that you post your concern to the Community. However, there are several reasons why an issue occurs, sometimes this may be caused by some files or components that are broken or missing on the system. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

    1. Click Start, type File Explorer and press Enter.
    2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto City .
    3. Right-click on gta-vc.exe and select Properties.
    4. Click on the Compatibility tab, you should be able to see the option Run in 640X480 screen resolution.
    5. Choose that option and change color mode to 16-bit.
    6. Press Apply and click OK.
    7. Once you're done, check if the issue persists.

    Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments