Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T14:17:28+00:00

    There is nothing wrong with my profile; and until I replace my PC, I'm not touching it because of how Windows 10 is locked down.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T16:05:34+00:00

    Charles - I know you think that Windows is not changing the default programs to their "Suggested" programs - but it is. How else can you explain that when the default of ONE type of file changes (.mp3, for example), then all .pdf files, and video files using VLC get changed. It's the OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T15:55:05+00:00

    Groove Music came with Windows 10 - never tried to uninstall it, so I haven't bothered. It's fine as a music player. I'm sure that if I uninstall it, it will just get reinstalled with subsequent updates.

    Yes - Windows DID uninstall Malwarebytes. It occurred on February 10th with one of the major updates - i believe the creators update - not sure which one it was. When I reinstalled it - the settings showed last scan February 10. That was the date of the Windows update. So yes - Windows DID uninstall it.

    With Windows Defender - I don't want it. I have a Norton subscription. In the past - before Windows updates were mandatory, I was able to disable it. The setting is now grayed out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T18:49:20+00:00

    Its changing more than just the icons.  It is changing the actual program assignments.  This is a phenomena that has just recently started.  It has been going on for the past month or so.  I have not added any new programs during this period.  The only thing that may have changed is windows, through their mandatory updates.

    I can start the program and then open the required file, but we have millions of files in a very elaborate and deep directory structure.  To open the program and then drill down to the file that I need to open, would be prohibitively time consuming.  I often need to access a hundred or more files in a single day.  It is much more efficient to work directly from the file manager and double click on the file I want to open.

    Microsoft has done this before, and subsequently been sued, and lost, here in the United States as well as the EU.  Since it has been a few years since they lost their last lawsuit, it looks like they are at it again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T15:19:51+00:00

    You're obviously not alone in thinking Windows is doing this but I can assure you it isn't.

    As for "Groove Music" why don't you just do what I did and uninstall it?

    You do that in PowerShell, you know. You have to open PowerShell with Admin privileges, (in a elevated mode, as they call it.  Then you just type (or copy and paste) this instruction:

    Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage

    in PowerShell, hit enter, and voila! It is gone.

    Windows 10 did not uninstall Malwarebytes. I've never seen any use for that program myself but other users are quite fond of it for some inexplicable reason. I use the free Windows Defender Security Center. I did test Malwarebytes once just to see what thrilled others so much but it didn't detect anything on my computer, which was the result that Windows Defender had already given me, so I removed it.

    But to each his/her own on that.

    What "settings" are unavailable on Windows Defender?

    Over to you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments