Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T14:21:52+00:00

    Well - it may or may not be a conspiracy - but, it does occur; and you can see by other responses that I WAS NOT ALONE with the issue.

    More on the conspiracy - why can't we uninstall the horrible Microsoft Edge browser? Why are settings suddenly unavailable to change on Windows Defender? Why did a recent update of Windows 10 uninstall Malwarebytes?

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T18:22:42+00:00

    Windows 10 is a program developed and maintained by Microsoft.  If Microsoft's program "Windows 10" is changing the default programs to THEIR programs, then it is Microsoft that is making the change.  Unless Microsoft is claiming that Windows 10 is not their program. 

    The defaults are not being changed to anybody else's programs, they are just being changed to Microsofts' programs.  If this was just some random reassignment, I might believe you, but its not.  The change ALWAYS goes to Microsofts' programs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-10T14:26:24+00:00

    Likewise at work we've started to use Nitro PDF instead of Adobe for licensing reasons.

    3 times alone yesterday I had Win10 switch PDF default app from Nitro to Edge.

    Also at home I like to use VLC player for videos since the default player has problems with x265.

    Guess what? That loves to constantly revert back to default player.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-16T17:55:15+00:00

    So - more details on this. Since the latest large Windows 10 update, I noticed exactly when it happens. I receive frequent zip files of mp3 files. Groove Music is my default mp3 player. However, in the zip files, the files have the Windows Media Player icon. Since the latest update, when i extract those files, they convert to Groove Music. I then get notifications that applications have been reset to defaults. And my pdf files are reset to Edge.

    I could not find anywhere a place to set defaults within winzip files. So, I switched to WinRAR, and the mp3 files now have Groove Music, and I no longer get a system reset to defaults.....It has been a week - and no resetting of my pdf files has occurred. knock on wood......

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-08-02T11:27:06+00:00

    Hi

    I had the same problem a while back, I use Sumatra to open pdf. What I did was click on a pdf file in my documents in File Explorer and clicked the drop down arrow in Open from the ribbon and click on Choose another App then select your preferred app and check the always use box then OK. I sense your frustration and I apologise if you have already done this,  you don't say if you have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments