Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Anonymous
2017-07-17T19:36:54+00:00

Windows 10 keeps changing my default pdf program from Adobe Acrobat to Microsoft Edge. 

Please don't tell me to set my default program in control panel - I do that weekly.

Please don't tell me to do the "OpenWith" registry hack - I've done that, and it did work, until the next major Windows 10 update. Obviously, someone at Microsoft found out about that one.

I have also tried running another hack, that works for a while, but after a few days, I see that ANNOYING edge icon on my pdf files, and have to go back into control panel and change everything back.

It's really annoying, because, it's MY computer. I paid for it, and it included my O/S license - it is MY decision to use Adobe Acrobat for pdf files, not Microsoft's.

Please note that we also have a laptop where this issue NEVER occurs.

I know i'm not the only one out there where this still occurs even after setting the default and running the registry hack.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

64 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-19T17:48:20+00:00

    Microsoft, please get over your arrogance and stop making changes to our defaults.  At least give us a prompt and an chance to tell you NO, do not change it.  These are my preferences not yours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    200+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-21T15:26:12+00:00

    Dolly, this thread began on July of last year. 

    Haven't YOU seen this problem? Or are you still running Windows 8 so you don't have to deal with this Microsoft arrogance?

    Really, Dolly, tell ALL of us what version of Windows you're running, AND tell us what your default apps are for all of the purposes mentioned in this thread.

    This is not a BUG.  It's a deliberate attempt to FORCE us to use Microsoft's programs, when they are obviously not as good as all of the third party apps that every one of us in this thread have chosen to use.

    Let me make my own decisions about my favorite programs, and leave my settings alone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-01T16:24:01+00:00

    I've already reported this via feedback hub. It was ignored.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-02T17:04:17+00:00

    Thanks for responding. Yes - I've tried that in the past. As you can see, Microsoft, in one of the recent updates, has removed the "always use this app" box - but, regardless, even when it was still available, it hijacks my setting at least weekly. I rarely get to this point, anyway. When I see those annoying Microsoft Edge icons, I curse up a storm, and then go to control panel and change the default. 

    Leaning toward switching to Apple, if they won't take the time to fix the automatic change of default apps to their recommended garbage. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    90+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-26T15:34:23+00:00

    This is not an isolated issue.  I have encountered numerous people that have the exact same problem.  I have to reset MY defaults back to MY selection several times a day.  But, Microsoft resets them back to THEIR choices every couple of hours.  It is not just with Adobe PDF Pro, it is with several other default settings also.  Its driving everyone in my company crazy.  We have finally set up a test group to see if we can move over to a Linux system.  We don't really want to move the company out of Windows, but Microsoft has not left us with much of a choice.  We do high end computer modeling, so we are constantly updating and replacing our computers with faster machines.  This extremely annoying problem, along with the licensing issues and headaches with moving windows 10 to a new machine has finally forced us to seek a new operating system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments