Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

Anonymous
2016-03-01T00:23:10+00:00

I have a number of available networks in my area but I wish to connect automatically only to my secured Home network. The problem is that one of the unsecured building networks is checked to connect automatically. I have tried to uncheck the box but it always comes back as "connect automatically". I keep getting hundreds of notifications that "UD Tower Network requires attention"  that are making me slightly insane. How do I turn off the connect automatically button for this network? WIndows 10, 64 bit

Original Title: Connect Automatically Network

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-03-01T05:47:25+00:00

Hello Fred,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

You may follow the below steps to turn off the “connect automatically” option.

  1. Press Windows key + A to open action center and click on All Settings.
  2. Now select Network and Internet.
  3. In the left panel, select Wi-Fi.
  4. Now in the right panel, select the option Change Adapter Options.
  5. The Change Adapter Options will open the Network Connections. You will find the network connection to which your computer or tablet is connected.
  6. Double click on the wireless connection to open the Wi-Fi status. Go to Wireless Properties.
  7. Under Connection tab, find out “Connect automatically when this network is in range“. By default it is enabled. To disable it, uncheck the option and tap ok.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-07T23:00:23+00:00

    Thank you very much, Pieter. The commands you list work, unlike the stupid non-solutions from Microsoft's "help".

    I agree with other people who have posted that this incessant automatic connection behavior of Windows 7+ is an absolute security risk, not to mention that if a neighbor had a non-secured router or printer operating that my computer connected to automatically without my knowledge, I could be held liable for theft of service.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-21T08:09:00+00:00

    My problem is that my computer is setting itself to automatically connect to wireless networks that my pc doesn't know the password to. So when i boot up my pc I have to manually connect to my wifi. I untick the auto connect to the other 2 networks but it immediately re-ticks them as soon as i close the available networks. I cant go into the settings to change via the wifi adaptor options as its saying i need to connect to the wifi option before i can change the settings, which i cant as it is trying to connect to wifis that it does not know the password to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-02T01:01:52+00:00

    Did anybody find a solution to this? It is driving me mad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-09T12:47:13+00:00

    Hello Fred,

    Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

    Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

    You may follow the below steps to turn off the “connect automatically” option.

    1. Press Windows key + A to open action center and click on All Settings.
    2. Now select Network and Internet.
    3. In the left panel, select Wi-Fi.
    4. Now in the right panel, select the option Change Adapter Options.
    5. The Change Adapter Options will open the Network Connections. You will find the network connection to which your computer or tablet is connected.
    6. Double click on the wireless connection to open the Wi-Fi status. Go to Wireless Properties.
    7. Under Connection tab, find out “Connect automatically when this network is in range“. By default it is enabled. To disable it, uncheck the option and tap ok.

    Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

    Thank you.

    Hi,

    I have almost the same problem except that my laptop tryes to connect to unknown netowrks (I don't even know the password so connections attempts keep failing) repeatedly and automatically.

    I tried to follow your instructions but at line (5.) I have to choose a connection to which my laptop is connected and there is not explanation how to access unknown networks, password protected.

    How can I stop my laptop from trying to connect automatically to unknown netorks?

    Tommaso

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments