How do you "automatically" update your Windows Media Player album information if this doesn't work the first time?

Anonymous
2016-02-28T16:25:35+00:00

Hi,

    How do you "automatically" update your Windows Media Player album information, if this doesn't work the first time in respect of the data for the album, which WMP finds?

    I'm not finding the accuracy of the Player good at all; if there's a double album it seems to get these the wrong way around in respect of the details. And Sometimes it gets albums entirely wrong, when I had no difficult finding this on the internet?

    Before you respond I know 'Edit' and "Search" etc, but the editing process would take too long for each single. And Search is not working... I've typed the exact details in for the album, only for WMP to turn up 500+ results, which are not relevant?

    Also how do you prevent your playlists being lost, if your computer crashes? How do you Save etc or is there a quicker easier way to do this? Is there a way for instance of saving these online?

(Microsoft please have another look at this forum? For instance it is far too difficult to find, and when I've been writing, on pressing Return I lose the post? Also the font selection function italics etc did not work for me???)

PS Italics worked belatedly towards the end, when I highlighted the text I'd written.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-05-08T18:18:35+00:00

Sorry for the delay - finally found time to read back through the thread - I don't think at this point I can offer any more suggestions. The sledgehammer option proposed by MS support may be about the only one left, and if you're (fairly) happy with how most stuff is working... that seems a bit drastic!

It seems MS techs are no longer bothered much about WMP - so many people having issues with it particularly in W10 (Burn/Rip problems; Incorrectly sized artwork; DRM - which MS promised to try to fix last August... etc.) Yet it's still a fundamental part of the OS.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-05-02T16:42:25+00:00

    Hi Ric,            I replied to one of the other responses as well as this?I'm fine a bit biggogled (that is a word or should be) ***with all of this... and getting WMP working right, this seems to have so many varying different flaws.****Even though some of these problems seemingly have repaired themselves?*A friend recently made me aware that: VLC can do WMP playlists, and VLC is a more reliable app than WMP?Besides all of this... what are the "steps" in that case please for switching over files from one computer to the next with WMP?

    I cannot even find the music files now, and in any case wish to use the right steps, and I understand what you were saying that the process is not as easy as I had hoped.However, how do I go about this, and what are the steps and how do I locate the files once these have been transferred, which I think **you said "is" the main issue in this process, when you have transferred these?Oh finally, yes didn't understand the steps you supplied before as I had the menu in list form.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-05-01T11:10:40+00:00

    Hi - how are you? no apologies needed. There's a few things I need to reread but for starters....

    Control Panel - Programs - Programs and Features - Turn Windows features On and Off - you should find this here....

    Secondly - Transfer of playlists isn't actually that straightforward because they are pointers to files - once the files are in a different location the playlist won't work... You can copy the list over and then re-associate the files. I seem to remember reading something about this in another post - I'll see if I can find it and post a link. - R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-05-01T09:57:38+00:00

    Lost me with this first part...

    These are worth trying - if not already done...

    Control Panel - Programs - Programs and Features - Turn Windows features On and Off... wait for the list to populate and you'll find WMP under 'Media' - Turn it off... restart the pc and then go back and turn it on again.

    Programs and Features takes you to the uninstall menu, which gives you no option for turning WMP on and off, just to uninstall this?***PS: Did you answer this, I'm going back through your replies but struggling to find... "how do you transfer your playlist from one computer to the another, from my desktop to my laptop, which I intend to do?" which I asked some time ago I 'think.'Been after this answer for some time, and have not quite managed this, which I thought would be quite simple a process to complete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-05-01T09:48:03+00:00

    And I have tried this a few times, and been aware of this fix for a while, but it hasn't worked after 2 attempts Ric?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments