BSOD: The bugcheck was: 0x000000df

Anonymous
2016-06-28T12:15:13+00:00

Hello!

I manage a small team of users running Windows 7 on a network and one of them is getting the BSOD with error "The bugcheck was: 0x000000df".

I tried various things to fix it and using Norton to clean everything up, and uninstalled various useless programmes. The problem seems to have subsided for her.

Then... I changed my own Norton installation from Norton Internet Security to Norton Security with Backup.. and five minutes after I do this I get the same BSOD with the same bugcheck!!

From what I can tell the 0xdf error seems to be a "IMPERSONATING WORKER THREAD" error but I cannot find out how fix this other than usual update drivers etc. Can I find out exactly which programme is causing this? Could it really be Norton or is that just a coincidence? I really don't want to have to do a clean Windows install. 

The full error is The bugcheck was: 0x000000df (0xfffff800033b56c0, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0xfffffa800778cf40, 0x0000000000000000). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am downloading the Windows 7 SDK to be able to open the memory.dmp file now.

Here is a link to the dmp file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4qt2xojeadmxcu/MEMORY.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

Daniel

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T17:32:35+00:00

    Yeah, I'm not at all married to Norton.  I'm uninstalling Norton and installing Microsoft Security Essentials for now on the two worst offenders.  We'll see how that goes, and I'll report back here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T17:24:07+00:00

    I joined this thread for the same reason - it seemed bizarre that this would happen to 4 computers in our office within a week, and I couldn't find anything anywhere else.

    Our boxes all running Norton Internet Security as well, but all have had it installed for a while and the other 20 (so far unaffected) boxes also have it installed.

    3 Win 7 Pro boxes, one Win 10 Pro.

    All Dell boxes, but ranging from brand new to 4 years old.

    I have been updating all the drivers I can, sometimes it seems to lessen the number of crashes per day.

    Really hoping we can find something before it happens to more of them here...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T17:16:25+00:00

    I'm not the OP.  I didn't just switch Symantec products, I've had them installed for a while.

    I joined the thread because, well, this seems to be about the only thread on 0xDF on the internet.  Trying to combine info so we can come to a solution.

    Since my last post, it has spread, however, to a 5th computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T17:11:21+00:00

    Given it is happening to more than one machine AND it started just after you changed SYmantec products I suspect it is the culprit and your best bet would be to cont them.

    In your first post you only mentioned one machine so I was focused on it, but since it is spreading.  I would try removing Norton from a machine (just to check) you you can have more certainty when you contact Symantec.

    BSOD'S are always a combination of things but in over 40,000 BSOD analysis IMHO Norton products are rubbish. It may simply be norton on Dell does work norton on HP doesnt.  We would need much more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-06-28T17:04:46+00:00

    Also, I should add that it happened once on 5/31 on multiple computers and then that was it until 6/20 when the barrage started.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments