Windows 10 Mail Attachments - Download Failed

Anonymous
2015-11-11T05:32:31+00:00

I am synching my outlook.com email across my desktop, tablet and windows phone. Over the past 3 weeks, the Windows 10 Mail app on each device shows the majority of (but not all) attachments as "Download Failed".

The attachments failing include, jpeg, pdf, docx, xlsx etc.

I am able to download the attachments manually from outlook.com.

It is not antivirus or firewall related, as I am running different options on the different devices.

Are others experiencing this issue and are there any known solutions.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-24T08:45:18+00:00

    Hi  Geethu B

    Bit of background that might help:

    1. Bought Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 8
    2. Have Hotmail email account which I used to just use with browser login to initially Hotmail then Outlook once Microsoft took over Hotmail.
    3. Upgraded Microsoft Surface Pro to Windows 10
    4. Have mail icon on desktop linked to Hotmail/outlook account.  Only one account is linked - primary account.
    5. Used to be able to download and view attachments but since October, this fails in the desktop icon mail account - don't get an error message pop up - just when you click on the attachment it comes up with download failed.
    6. Can still access account through browser login with no issues.
    7. Keep up to date with Windows Update.  Have checked and installed all updates but no difference.

    So - it was a feature with Windows 10 - have the icon on the desktop, be able to view and use mail etc - but no longer is usable if you want to view any attachments.

    I have  no desire to start deleting primary accounts, re-installing items etc.  I haven't changed anything on the surface pro - so must be a Microsoft issue either with outlook, Hotmail or an update that has changed something.

    Disappointing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-24T04:07:03+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

    To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

    1. What is the exact issue that you are facing with Mail App?
    2. Which email client are you using?
    3. Do you get any error messages?

    I suggest you to download and install all available Windows Updates and App Updates. Check if it helps.

    Reply with required details which will help us to analyze and assist you in a better way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-24T03:33:57+00:00

    I have the same problem and have made the same observations.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-23T18:52:18+00:00

    Same scenario, same problem.

    I guess we have to wait until Microsoft releases an update to fix this common issue. If enough people report it to them, it gives them more pressure to do something about it. Mail app is very easy to use and touch friendly, also connects well with gmail. Only problem is the constant glitches it seems to be consumed with. Every time one problem is fixed, another one arises.

    Went to windows store, guy said last major update should fix everything, but windows 10 is still in initial stages so these kind of bumps are normal.....

    side note: I've been stuck on outlook(preview) mode when I log into my hotmail through a web browser for almost a year now. Apparently, I have to wait until Microsoft does something about this too.... :s

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-23T11:24:33+00:00

    I don't have an office365 account - I have a Hotmail account that I can access through the browser in logging into Microsoft Outlook in which I have no issues.

    The problem has occurred with Windows 10 desktop mail in which I previously was fully able to view emails, download and view attachments which now provides a 'download failed' message from around October.

    I don't want to start deleting or changing accounts - it all worked when I first upgraded and started using Windows 10 and the desktop mail icon.  I will just continue to use it through the browser but very disappointing Microsoft - think the issue lies with you and you need to provide a resolution to it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments