Flickering screen and sign-in problems on Windows 7 after installing updates

Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:48:00+00:00

After installing Windows Update KB3097877 on Windows 7, some computers are now experiencing a flickering screen at the logon screen, or you are not able to sign in at the logon screen.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:49:15+00:00

Hi,

Hello,

We have re-released KB3097877 for Windows 7 to address the difficulties at the logon screen that some customers experienced.

To resolve the issue:

  1. If you’re able to sign in, please scan for updates and install the fixed update.
  2. If you’re not able to sign in, try one of the following methods to uninstall KB3097877:
  • Use System Restore:  Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key before the Windows logo appears to access the System Recovery Options.  Select Repair your Computer.  Select the language, and then log on to the computer.  (If you don’t know the local password, you must start by using a Windows 7 DVD or USB bootable media and then access System Recovery Options.)  Select System Restore.  Restore the computer to the last restore point, and restart the computer.
  • Try uninstalling from Safe Mode:  Boot to Safe Mode.  If you’re able to log in in Safe Mode, click the Startbutton  and select Control Paneland then Programs.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.  Find KB3097877 on the list, click the update and then click Uninstall.

Once you’ve uninstalled the update using either of these methods, restart the computer, and then check for updates and install the fixed update.  If neither of the above options work, there are two additional options for advanced users listed in the knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3097877.  

We recommend customers apply the re-released update to help stay protected.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T12:37:05+00:00

    Hi there. I have two sony computers- one a netbook running windows 7 starter and the other is an all in one touch screen . The netbook had no problems with the update but I could not log in to user accounts on the all in one. I tried the computer repair option to no avail. I tried system restore with same result. I then tried Dales suggestion of leaving the computer powered up on the login screen. Depending on when you scheduled your updates-the computer will download the updates in the background. After the updates have downloaded , you will see an icon by the turn off button on screen. Try selecting the updates and see what happens .It worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T06:56:51+00:00

    Thank you for all your advice.  My pc is a Sony so not sure if this will work.  A the moment it is 'restoring files' as I am trying to revert back to an earlier restore point.  It's been doing this for over 24 hours now so I don't hold out much hope but I'm waiting for a reply to my email to Sony before I quit this .

    I emailed Sony as my pc has Windows 7 built in and they haven't replied by email yet - didn't even get an acknowledgement to my email so not very reassuring.  I managed to get through to someone by phone yesterday (020 73652810 and I pressed 0 several times to get through to a human).  I was told my email has been received and would be replied to within 48 hours.  We'll see.  Anyway, the tech guy said 'everyone's having the same problem' and said I would be sent instructions to fix my pc.

    I hope this helps anyone else who has a Sony and if anyone has any further advice, particularly if you have a Sony Vaio touchscreen, it's all very gratefully received.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-17T05:26:58+00:00

    Ran into a similar situation - here's how we resolved it:

    1. HP All-in-One PCs with touchscreen - Win 7 Pro - tried to boot into various safe modes and they still would not function - could not even get to command prompt.
    2. Attempted to revert back to previous restore points but both failed.  System repair failed with status code 0xc000000f and instructions to insert Windows installation disk and reboot.
    3. There were no installation disks available and the OEM product codes did not work to download ISO from Microsoft.
    4. After pestering MS support for a bit one of the techs pointed me to http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/ where you can download an appropriate ISO.
    5. Burned ISO to disk and rebooted PCs off of the disk. Followed dialog to REPAIR Windows (do NOT install new)
    6. After running for less than an hour the PCs were able to boot normally.  Checked Windows Update log and determined that the install of KB3097877 had actually failed and it was poised to reattempt at next shut down.  So I immediately ran "Check for Updates" that downloaded several updates which apparently included the updated version of KB3097877.  Installed the updates and rebooted.  Everything was fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T22:28:59+00:00

    Hi,

    Hello,

    We have re-released KB3097877 for Windows 7 to address the difficulties at the logon screen that some customers experienced.

    To resolve the issue:

    1. If you’re able to sign in, please scan for updates and install the fixed update.
    2. If you’re not able to sign in, try one of the following methods to uninstall KB3097877:
    • Use System Restore:  Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key before the Windows logo appears to access the System Recovery Options.  Select Repair your Computer.  Select the language, and then log on to the computer.  (If you don’t know the local password, you must start by using a Windows 7 DVD or USB bootable media and then access System Recovery Options.)  Select System Restore.  Restore the computer to the last restore point, and restart the computer.
    • Try uninstalling from Safe Mode:  Boot to Safe Mode.  If you’re able to log in in Safe Mode, click the Startbutton  and select Control Paneland then Programs.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.  Find KB3097877 on the list, click the update and then click Uninstall.

    Once you’ve uninstalled the update using either of these methods, restart the computer, and then check for updates and install the fixed update.  If neither of the above options work, there are two additional options for advanced users listed in the knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3097877.  

    We recommend customers apply the re-released update to help stay protected.

    Why should I have to use system restore after these "critical" updates are installed??? My system crashed last night; I turned off auto updates, but I can't shut down without updates being installed!! This is insane; I can't afford to get my computer professionally repaired!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments