Flickering screen and sign-in problems on Windows 7 after installing updates

Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:48:00+00:00

After installing Windows Update KB3097877 on Windows 7, some computers are now experiencing a flickering screen at the logon screen, or you are not able to sign in at the logon screen.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-13T00:49:15+00:00

Hi,

Hello,

We have re-released KB3097877 for Windows 7 to address the difficulties at the logon screen that some customers experienced.

To resolve the issue:

  1. If you’re able to sign in, please scan for updates and install the fixed update.
  2. If you’re not able to sign in, try one of the following methods to uninstall KB3097877:
  • Use System Restore:  Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key before the Windows logo appears to access the System Recovery Options.  Select Repair your Computer.  Select the language, and then log on to the computer.  (If you don’t know the local password, you must start by using a Windows 7 DVD or USB bootable media and then access System Recovery Options.)  Select System Restore.  Restore the computer to the last restore point, and restart the computer.
  • Try uninstalling from Safe Mode:  Boot to Safe Mode.  If you’re able to log in in Safe Mode, click the Startbutton  and select Control Paneland then Programs.  Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.  Find KB3097877 on the list, click the update and then click Uninstall.

Once you’ve uninstalled the update using either of these methods, restart the computer, and then check for updates and install the fixed update.  If neither of the above options work, there are two additional options for advanced users listed in the knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3097877.  

We recommend customers apply the re-released update to help stay protected.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T14:58:16+00:00

    Well, you're not gonna believe this but I'm up and running thanks to Dale's comment about not using wireless and going straight to an internet connection. I hooked myself up to my router this morning and let it blink away and after a few hours I heard the Windows startup music from the other room. When I got there and lifted the cover lo and behold I was at the login prompt. My wife thought I was having a heart attack!

    Thanks to all who tried to help, and especially to Dale.

    Flad

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T14:31:54+00:00

    If you go on the live chat on Microsoft support website and give them your product key, will they let you download the Windows 7 repair and installation disc?  Just a thought.  I'm not very techy and I haven't solved my flashing screen issue either - going to try and be patient and see if it resolves itself.  Does anyone know how long I might need to wait?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T13:27:44+00:00

    Why the "solutions" in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3097877 won't work for me.

    Method 1. No digitizers are installed on my PC.

    Method 2. It would be great if my PC went to Windows System Recovery Options if I started "repair your computer"

    but it doesn't. I'd have been done with this whole issue Tuesday night. Instead it goes to ASUS Proprietary Repair Wizard which will only let me reimage my computer to its initial state. I have also tried to burn a repair disc from two other Windows 7 Premium 64 Bit PC's and when I load them I get "invalid configuration" after the language selection page.

    Method 3. See Method 2 above. Since I can't get to the Windows repair tool, I can't open a command prompt. Does anyone know how  I can get to the command prompt without the windows repair tool? I tried ShiftF10 in the start process and nothing happens.

    I tried to leave my PC on for several hours at Dale Mahalko's Suggestion. I think I may have screwed myself here. My updates don't automatically install. Instead, I get a yellow shield in my shutdown window to let me know that updates are ready to install and when I shut down the updates install one after another. Does anyone know how to do a normal shutdown from the keyboard while in blink state? 

    Also, I can't download the Windows 7 Repair and installation disc because my Windows 7 Key comes from ASUS, not from Microsoft. I learn this when I  punch the key into the Microsoft download page. Asus said categorically "no" they won't let me download it with their key.

    My next attempt is to leave my PC in blinking state connected to the internet rather than wireless to see if this makes a difference.

    Now if Microsoft would give us a repair tool like the one in 

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38435

    I think I might have a fighting chance.

    Flad

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T03:16:34+00:00

    After wasting a whole evening....I finally got it.

    I too had the flickering screen that would not allow me to log on.

    I was able to use a Reinstalling cd that came with my computer and followed exactly as laid out at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3097877.  

    I started with Method #2 recovery from prior time.  The computer showed a box that said it didn't work so then I went to the Method #3.  After some time I figured out that I did not see the referenced up-date so I did a restart and BINGO it worked.  So, I'm guessing Method 2 worked, I just didn't know it.

    Now if Microsoft would send me a nice little check for repairing my computer...that would make me happy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments