Rearrange taskbar buttons and/or rearrange order of notification area icons. Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2015-02-05T14:24:17+00:00

I found the following for Windows 8.1,

order of app buttons on the taskbar:

All open files from the same app are always grouped together, even if you didn’t open them one after the other. This is so you can see all of the previews for that app at the same time.


How do I make the last or the latest icon to always open on the right hand side. And that the first app or icon is on the left hand side. Second app or its icon always opens or goes on the right hand side (now second left). And the third app or its icon always opens or goes to the right hand side (now third left). etc.

How do I make any and all apps or their icons to always been displayed in chronological order? First on the left hand side of the notification area and last on the right hand side of the notification area, no matter they are all icons of the same apps or all different ones.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-08T13:56:48+00:00

    It's part of the Windows Essentials offers.  When you run that installer, it will offer an option to install the Mail program.  You can choose if you want the other programs or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-08T11:33:02+00:00

    Shawn

    I am grateful for your trying to help me. 

    May be I did not find the right app/prog identical to Outlook Express in Windows Essentials. And I'd like to try again.

    Just in case, pls give a link to the newest available version of Windows Essentials.

    And pls give a link or exact name of the app/prog identical/similar to the original Outlook Express.

    I am asking for these links only because I'd like to avoid any possible mistakes and avoid getting the wrong stuff.

    I appreciate your time and effort in helping me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-06-07T21:21:45+00:00

    They are the same program as Outlook Express, there is no "online" component to it, it's 100% identical to the old program in every way, only with new icons and a updated "ribbon" toolbar.  There's no other difference, your email is not stored "online" or any differently.  The only change was some visuals.

    You can still use it with POP, IMAP, or even the old Hotmail if you wanted - or of course any email provider like Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, whatever.  It's exactly what Outlook Express is, only with a new icon pack.

    See below.  Left is Windows XP fresh install from 2002 with the original Outlook Express.  Right is Windows 7 running the newest available version of Windows Essentials.  If you open the source files and DLL's, you'll see most are even the same, because it is the same program.

    Click to enlarge image 1

    Click to enlarge image 2

    Click to enlarge image 3

    Click to enlarge image 4

    Click to enlarge image 5

    Click to enlarge image 6

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T20:32:25+00:00

    To get rid off the transparent taskbar in Windows 8.1 use and follow  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/36785-taskbar-transparency-disable-using-aero-lite-theme.html    download and set up the Aero Lite Theme

    At   "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Desktop Background" I also changed Desktop Background > Picture location: > Solid Colors > to BLACK.   So that all icons are clearly visible on the desktop.

    While doing this I used WinKey + Q then typed "change the theme" or WinKey + Q then typed "Personalization" to quickly get to the desktop background and taskbar color set up page.

    I've wasted 5 hours but managed to get rid off the transparent taskbar!!!!

    Windows 8.1 is such a weird thing! (I am using "weird" - the mildest word  possible).

    I'm very unhappy with Windows 8.1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-07T18:05:50+00:00

    Windows Live Mail is not an online app in any sense of the word, at all.  Have you even looked at it?

    I have it installed on my PC and I use it sometimes (but do not like it because of the problems listed above)

    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe"   "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail"

    or mb we are talking about 2 different things?

    Windows Live Mail is an online app -------- may be my terminology is incorrect?

    It is installed on my PC, but it kinda talking or communicating with online accounts used in Windows Live Mail on my PC when I send/receive/move/delete/edit messages

    and

    It's impossible to easily and quickly edit HTML source code in one or two steps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments