Thanks Gerry,
I took the plunge and installed W 8 from the DVD. The installation ran fine but the first time I got into the system, the display driver had difficulties. I downloaded the latest, installed it, and that solved it.
However, the Windows Update is still not working. When it checks for updates, it says the update needs to be installed. Doing this closes the window, and then coming back with the infamous 800F0922 error.
Tried to fix it. It says it was fixed but the update still does not work. I also went to PC settings where it asks to trust the PC, went through this, no help at all. It still demands to trust the PC.
I never had such a mess on hand! I also ran sfc as admin.: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
The paragraph right below is in strikethrough because I think I have the solution. Look beyond.
I am thinking of redoing the installation. But before I am doing it I think of formatting the whole hard disk, and then install W 8 again from scratch. That way I can be sure that everything is clean and installed, including Windows Update. I'd like your opinion.
I will do a new inst. Within "custom" choosing drive, and delete the partitions. Windows 8 will install then correctly. The drive is formatted anyway.
I did a reinstallation on my laptop more than 3 weeks ago. No such problems occurred with that installation (no formatting).
Note: I will be very busy the next two days, so I maybe a bit slow replying.