Windows 8.1 update fails.

Anonymous
2015-06-24T20:33:32+00:00

Since the last "Patch Tuesday" on June 9, none of the important and other available updates will install. This is my last attempt to find a solution to the issue. I tried everything: troubleshooting, chat with MS Support for two(!) hours, googling all sorts of forums. All tis with no results. Remarkably, even MS chat from Answer Desk was unable to help. I cannot believe it that there is no help/support from MS available. That, if it is true, is very sad to say the least. I am sure that there is somebody at MS who could help/support to get the issue resolved but where is he or she??? I have been working on the issue at least 3 hours a day since June 9!!

The PC runs perfectly on the other hand. The errors that appear when looking into the details in the update history are the following ones:

  1. 800F0922
  2. 80071A91

both appear always,

  1. 80246010
  2. 80240054

both appear only a couple of times but the 2 above.

There is NO clear explanation for these errors or where the source may lie. This is in a way ridiculous. Why show them when no solution is offered at all?

Is there anyone at MS who can help??? If not, I am forced to reinstall Windows 8 from the purchased DVD and go then through the whole reinstallation and update process.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-11T09:29:45+00:00

    Your problem goes beyond Windows Update. The problem is file corruption on your C partition. The system is failing. The problems with Windows Update are simply a symptom of the failure. The problems could be a consequence of using registry cleaners.

    The simplest solution is what you were hoping to avoid! That is to reinstall Windows 8 from the purchased DVD and rebuild your system. This time do not install:

    Glary Utilities 5

    Smart Defrag 4

    Wise Disk Cleaner

    Wise Registry Cleaner

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-10T21:06:59+00:00
    1. Ran Autoruns as admin. Deleted the three WOWxxx entries. The other three cannot be deleted. The message I get is: "Error deleting start setting: Transaction support with the specified manager is not started or was shut down due an error." Then I went to Jump to entry... It opens the Task Scheduler: no entry there. Jump to image... Opens File Explorer.

    There are no left overs from the uninstallation (I used Revo Uninstaller, which searches for leftovers.)

    I ran sfc again with the same result as before: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

    Restarted the PC, and tried again to run one update. Failed indicating that all other updates will fail too.

    I did not run chkdsk again, but I provide the report from the last run on July 8:

    http://1drv.ms/1dQWTFe

    Please allow me a personal comment on the issue. I am going to believe that there is no solution to achieve, unless a real MS engineer who knows Windows Update and out looks into the matter. As I said before, the cause for the failure may lie too deep in the system, or it has never been tested at MS for such a occurrence. I know that tests cover up to 90% or more of occurring situations, so it may be that this one is in the remaining 10%. I have done professional user testing myself and know this as rule.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-10T12:40:43+00:00

    Please use Autoruns to delete 6 entries where the words “File not found” appear. With Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from starting, or you can right click an item and then delete it. Click the Everything tab and look for the rows highlighted in yellow. To delete a disabled item you need to recheck it before you can delete it.

    Please run chkdsk. Select the keyboard shortcut Win+X, and click Command Prompt (Admin) on the drop down menu. Type *cd* and press ENTER. Type "chkdsk c: /r" without the quotes and hit ENTER. Make sure you include the spaces indicated. Enter Y when asked whether you wish to run chkdsk on restarting the computer. Type exit, press the ENTER key and restart the computer.

    An easy way to see past chkdsk reports is offered by Treesize:

    http://www.jam-software.com/treesize\_free/

    Place a shortcut to Treesize on your Desktop, right click the icon and select Run as Administrator to open Treesize. When you open Treesize select Scan from the Menu and you will see a list of drives. Click on C and it will generate a list of Folders. Expand System Volume Information and chkdsk and you will see past chkdist logs listed. Click a log and it is opened by Notepad. The date of the log is given after Chkdsk in the format YYYYMMDD. Please upload a copy to your OneDrive a post a link here.

    Please run System File Checker. Select the keyboard shortcut Win+X, and click Command Prompt (Admin) on the drop down menu. Type cd* and press the ENTER key. Type sfc /scannow and press the ENTER key*.** Please say what is reported when the check completes.

    After the process has finished, you may receive one of the following messages:

    •Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

    •Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

    •Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

    •Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-10T11:41:18+00:00

    ich verstehe kein wort alles auf englisch

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-07-09T20:53:00+00:00

    First of all, I deleted all entries in Adwcleaner!

    Today I removed/uninstalled the 8Gadgetpack by Helmut Buhler. I only used three gadgets which had no connection to the Internet: the clock, the calendar, the Shutdown/Restart/Logoff gadget.

    I know Autoruns and have it installed since over 2 years. There were some leftovers of GlaryUtilities, which I could not remove although I ran Autoruns as an Administrator. You'll find the file below in the link to OneDrive.

    Then I tried another installation of an update which failed as usual indicating the others would fail as well.

    I ran the PC  for 30 minutes after a restart, ran a few tasks, nothing heavy at all.;

    Here is the link to the requested files:

    http://1drv.ms/1GaiAXD

    I removed all the previous files stored.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments