Windows 7 update keeps installing the same 5 important updates. Can someone help?

Anonymous
2015-04-08T19:26:55+00:00

Sometimes I it says they installed successfully.  sometimes I get error code 9C48, or 0x80070057.   I ran sfc /scannow successfully as admin from dos window and have the CBS.log.  Can someone help?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-20T18:36:08+00:00

    I did not realize it had anything to do with IE.       

    It doesn't - but your reply tells me that IE11, at least, is fully-patched at Windows Update.

    ACTIONS:

    Please begin your own, new thread to avoid further confusion. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/page/faq#faqAskQuestion1

    In your first post in the new thread, please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list, preferably without quoting my post:

    1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

    1b. Did Win7 (64-bit) come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7?

    1. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?
    2. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?
    3. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

    5a. Is KB3035583, KB2952664 and/or KB2990214 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)?

    5b. Is KB3032359 still being offered when you run a manual check for updates?

    1. *Assuming Java is installed =>*Is Java Version 8 Update 45 (or higher) or Java Version 7 Update 79 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp [2]
    2. Is Adobe Flash Player v18.0.0.160 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 
    3. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?
    4. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleanercomponent)?

    ==============================================

    [1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

    [2] No need to install Java if it's not already installed!

    => Now reply to this thread once more & give me link to your own, new thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-20T09:13:21+00:00

    Thanks again.  I did not realize it had anything to do with IE.  I run Win 7, 64 bit and in IE Explorer I found 11.020 (KB3058515). Underneath there is a tick for Update automatically.  Confuseduser

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-19T23:41:19+00:00

    Well, you're certainly not alone! => https://goo.gl/TbeM1U

    Assuming IE11 is installed, what Update Version & KB number are displayed in the second line of text in IE11's Help | About [Alt+H+A] tab; e.g., Update Version: 11.0.54 (KB1231231) ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-19T08:36:00+00:00

    They were KB3004375

                           3001432

                           3021952

                           3032359

                           2871997

    I noticed first in April, that they kept installing themselves successfully, especially the first two.  However, they did not show up in the list of installed Updates.  When I ran Belarc, no updates were missing. When I removed the Windows Update Cleaning (from Disk Cleanup) I had no problem.   Thanks for your interest. Confuseduser

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-18T18:55:55+00:00

    And the KB numbers of the five updates were...?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments