Windows Media Center EPG Data issues - UPDATE 7/27

Anonymous
2015-07-27T23:06:27+00:00

Hi everyone:

I'm Jon, a Program Manager with Microsoft who works on servicing Windows Media Center.  I want to share an update with you about the EPG issues some of you are experiencing.

Rovi is working with Microsoft directly on all Windows Media Center related issues.  Our official path of support for WMC issues is to log a feedback report within the Microsoft Connect site (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback).  Microsoft will triage the problems there, and report any lineup or data accuracy related issues to Rovi you.  Note that you will need to login to the Connect site and link your MS account with to it for the link above to work properly.  You can also go to http://connect.microsoft.com, sign in there, and navigate to the "Media Center Program Guide Data Feedback Home" site.

There are a few problems with the data conversion that are known issues. We are working to resolve these as quickly as possible.

  1. **The issue regarding OTA channels not surfacing to the WMC guide is believed to be resolved.**Please run through your WMC setup (if necessary) and confirm if you now have the missing channels along with their corresponding guide data. If you continue to have issues please open a ticket with Microsoft in the Connect application. Microsoft will work directly with Rovi on any further issues you might be having.
  2. Series recordings problems. We believe we have identified the problem and Microsoft and Rovi are working towards the best solution. At this time we don’t have an estimate on when this will be fixed.
  3. Cable card lineups not displaying the HD channels. Microsoft and Rovi are working on a long term solution. In the meantime a work around has been implemented for customers with Cablevision/Optimum lineups and you should expect to receive the HD channels within 24-48 hours from 7/23.

We will continue to provide updates on this thread as they occur.

--Jon, MSFT

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T20:28:48+00:00

    I do not know how people got Windows Media Center to work for Windows 10. They either found some source to look for the program and it works for them. Many of the people were very upset that Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10. Previously for Windows 7 users, yes it works out perfectly, but it was having EPG data issues on and off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T19:14:54+00:00

    Windows Media Center for Windows 7 is working fine for me.  Since Microsoft is not putting Media Center into Windows 10, I will not upgrade.  I use Media Center everyday for recording.  So if they do not want to put it into Windows 10, I will stay with Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-07T09:48:54+00:00

    Hi Jon,

    I tried to follow your instructions for Windows Media Center and your instructions has failed. I tried numerous of times from changing the area code to task scheduler. When I did Task Scheduler, it resets back to the beginning. For Windows 10 users, the majority of the people have bought Windows Media Center and install it on their computer. So far, it is unsuccessful in getting the Guide Listings to work on Windows Media Center.

    Is there a way to fix this issue for Windows 10 users, I got the TV signal for all the channels in my area to work, but not the Guide Listings.  What is missing on Windows Media Center is About Guide Listings option where it reads the updates, the TV signals and the ID number.

    I do not think this problem affects people with Windows Media Center for Windows 7.

    I also reported this to Connect Feedback: https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-28T19:50:36+00:00

    Hi everyone:

    I want to give a quick update on where we are since my post earlier this month. My team continues to work on this issue, and we greatly appreciate the help and support of the community in reporting issues and sharing info.

    Since my last update, we’ve been updating the data feeds and cleaning up issues you have been reporting via the Connect site. Thanks for the reports – as I mentioned earlier, we won’t be able to respond to each Connect report directly, but we are gathering and working through the issues as they come in. I've gotten some other reports via PM as well, and those get added to the list as well.

    We’ve also been investigating the problem is not getting any new EPG data at all, which is still a problem for some of you. We’ve tried repro’ing the problem in our lab with limited success - in fact, during our initial testing before the rollout, we never saw this issue. As folks on this forum have pointed out, some people with multiple WMC installs will see this problem on one install but not another, which indicates it's a transient issue, very difficult to reproduce and root cause. We're focusing on recovery methods - steps you can take to help get EPG data flowing again.

    There have been troubleshooting steps given in this and other forums that have had some success. We took a look at them, did our own verification, and the team is confident in endorsing them as recommended ways to help resolve the problem.

    1. RECOMMENDED: Clearing the DNS cache.

    This is a simple step and seems to be effective in some cases. To do this, open an elevated Command Prompt and enter ipconfig /flushdns. This removes old DNS entries from the cache and forces the machine to reacquire the proper IP’s for our download URL’s. 2. RECOMMENDED: Trying different ZIP codes.

    This has been effective for some users, and also returns usable results. You can see if your ZIP code, city, or other nearby areas, are available at http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings - enter your ZIP code or city name to see the providers for that area. 3. PARTIALLY RECOMMENDED: Run the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in Task Scheduler.

    This step is a little more involved, and should be undertaken by advanced users only. This can clear older EPG data from your WMC installation, allowing a restarted WMC to pick up the new data feed. Effectiveness is unknown, which is why it’s only partially recommended – it won’t damage your install, but requires some experience to make it work.

    For this method, follow these steps: 1. Close WMC 2. Open Task Scheduler, by opening Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks 3. In the left tree, expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center 4. In the right pane, under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2+ mins) 5. Close Task Scheduler 6. Restart WMC

    We're working on some other, more involved methods, and I hope to have some more concrete recommendations from the team within the next week or so. Until then, please keep reporting issues at the Connect site (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145), and thanks again for your help.

    --Jon, MSFT

    Hi Jon,

    My TV Guide Listings is not working again. When I typed in my own area code, the Guide Listings is not reading the correct channel with the programming. When I typed in a different area code that is closest to my location, it is reading the correct programming and channel. However, the Guide Listing is reading "No Data Available". In past before the July issue and Zap2it was no longer a TV Guide listings for Windows Media Center, the Guide Listing was working out fine without any problems and the TV Guide listings was reading the correct programming using my own area code.

    I tried to follow the EPG data instructions and none of the instructions work. I ended up receiving several error messages:

    "Windows Media Center has corrected a problem with your recording data and will download the Guide again. You should review your recordings to verify they are still scheduled correctly."

    "Download Failure: The new TV setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available, will be used as you continue through TV signal setup."

    "Windows Media Center: Windows Media Center experienced a serious problem. Before you can use Windows Media Center, you must run Windows Media Center again."

    "Downloadable Guide Not Available: Downloadable TV Program Guide listings are not available due to previous downloading failures. For more information, right-click the Windows Media Center system tray icon and open the Windows Media Center Update Log. Select Back to try again. You may be able to get the listings from the TV broadcast, if available."

    Under Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > About Guide Listings, About Guide Listings is missing on the list.

    This problem all started yesterday morning 2/26/16.

    It all started when I could not watch or record any of the programming using Windows Media Center saying I do not have any TV signal for any of the channels, but the Guide Listings was there. When I reset the TV signal, it turned out the Guide Listings was saying "No Data is Available."

    Current Update:

    After Step #3, I reset the TV signal and I change the zip code back to the area code from where I live and everything is running back to normal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T16:17:43+00:00

    Good news (and bad.) Link worked just now (Oct 5, Noon, EasternTime)

    This problem is going on way too long and I'm about ready

    to give up. I've been testing other ways (WinTV7 for Vista.)

    When I got these posts about the site, I thought MS had also... <grin>

    Clicking on this https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback says page not found anyway

    Same here, not working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments