Set PIN as default sign-in option

Anonymous
2014-06-08T01:45:54+00:00

Hi, I have set my PIN on my Windows 8.1 but it continues to prompt me on password when I sign in. I can only click the sign-in option and change to PIN in order to input PIN number. How can I set PIN as default sign-in option?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-11T08:29:50+00:00

Hi,

On the login screen below the password box click on Sign-in Options. You can view two option, one for password and one for Pin. Click on PIN and enter the pin. When you restart the computer, by default Windows will remember the previous option which you have chosen to login to Windows (PIN).

Sign in to or out of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/sign-in-out-of-windows

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-02-03T05:03:02+00:00

Hi,

Sorry, to know that you are facing this issue.

  • Did you follow all the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread?

If you have tried all the steps, I would suggest you to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scan, to fix missing or corrupted system files. Windows Store might crash if system files are corrupted.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files

**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us**

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-07T15:21:43+00:00

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community forums. Sorry, to know that you are facing this issue on the new computer.

  • Did you delete the old PIN before you tried creating a new one?
  • Did you follow all the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread?
  • Did you connect your computer to Domain network?

Windows 8 has a feature where you can use a 4 digit PIN to sign-in to your Windows account. If you are a domain user, this feature is disabled by default.

Try these steps to remove your old PIN:

a) Press "Windows Logo"+ "C" keys on the keyboard to display the charms bar.

b) Click on "Settings" and then click on "Change PC settings" at the bottom

c) Select "Users" on the left panel of "PC Settings"

d) Click "Remove PIN" under "Sign in options"

e) Once the old PIN is removed, try creating the new PIN and check if that resolves the issue.

Please follow all the troubleshooting steps from this thread. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help you.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T07:09:50+00:00

    Hi,

    Thanks for the update.  I can understand how frustrating it could be when things doesn’t work out as expected. We are glad to know you were able to fix the issue. Let us know if you need any assistance.

    Thanks and regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-18T01:39:52+00:00

    Sorry for the late response - I still have no idea why it wasn't working, I had previously tried shutting down to no avail but I simply tried it again the next day and it worked...

    Personally I suspect that there was an issue I was not able to see with my microsoft account, I made no changes but it had previously told me I had "signed in too many times with an invalid password" or something to that effect, and I have experience with blocked MSA's in the past (way too much experience haha) that leads me to believe that was the issue.  I did contact MSA support but they did not say that they made any changes so either they cleared it up and did not say anything or it was simply a temporary block that was preventing me from making changes to the account.

    Either way, very frustrating...I mean really it's no wonder people get angry when something works one day and then not the next (or vice versa...)

    Anyway thanks for the help, and good luck to everyone else having problems with this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments