BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T14:56:31+00:00

    I recall there were discussions in another thread specifically about the 3 incorrect registry entries but I can't recall which thread/s and will search for the posts.  But it seems like those were older threads.  If you have a link for any of those discussions specifically noting those entries being identified please post it.  Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T14:26:31+00:00

    I am not saying I refuse to believe it.

    That FIX-BITs.reg in the link is wrong for XP so anybody who uses that will have a broken BITS Service.

    Maybe that's how they get broken...  Running that FIX-BITs.reg.

    Here is what it should look like:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS]

    "Type"=dword:00000020

    "Start"=dword:00000003

    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

    "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\

      74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\

      00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\

      6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73,00,00,00

    "DisplayName"="Background Intelligent Transfer Service"

    "DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,00,00

    "DependOnGroup"=hex(7):00,00,00,00

    "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"

    "Description"="Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is stopped, features such as Windows Update, and MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other information. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it may fail to transfer files if they do not have a fail safe mechanism to transfer files directly through IE in case BITS has been disabled."

    "FailureActions"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,68,e3,00,\

      00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters]

    "ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,69,00,72,00,25,00,5c,00,73,\

      00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,71,00,6d,00,67,00,72,00,\

      2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Security]

    "Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,90,00,00,00,9c,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\

      00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\

      00,00,02,00,60,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\

      05,12,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,\

      20,02,00,00,00,00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,\

      00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,\

      00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Enum]

    "0"="Root\LEGACY_BITS\0000"

    "Count"=dword:00000001

    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T13:55:50+00:00

    It should be noted that the three registry entries Doug mentions were only introduced by users who ran the registry file called BITS-FIX.reg. They're not there by default.

    You can see all three here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/windows-update-died-tried-many-solutions-still/7d5ec39f-086f-471f-a713-b195d4c4b24d?page=2

    Well that BITS-FIX.reg would certainly introduce those extra registry values - but there again that BITS registry is not a clean XP version. It looks like an XP version that has been trashed by the Fix-It and then slightly modified to correct the "Display Name"

    • it would fix nothing as it contains the "ServiceSidType" value that stops BITS starting.

    I have never run that fix on any machine ever!

    I have exported BITS registry files from before and after running the faulty Fix-It's - which clearly show the Fix-It has caused the changes.

    If you still refuse to believe me that is your choice - all I can do is present the evidence - Report it to Microsoft Tech Support - and wait for others to confirm or refute my findings. That is the way science works - examine the evidence - put forward a theory - and wait for it to be tested by others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments