BITS service is missing, how can I get it back?

Anonymous
2013-11-04T01:30:12+00:00

Original Title - BITS service    

BITS service is missing in windows xp how can I get it back, i do not have the orginal cd, help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-12T14:25:13+00:00

Hi Xircal,

The December Patch Tuesday has me plumbing depths of Windows XP I never want to see again.  While exploring the posts in the community, I've found your advice extremely helpful and have managed to get the BITS running again on my venerable Dell XP desktop followed by a successful update of all the security patches.  I've had less success with an installation of XP that I run on a Mac in a VMWare virtual machine.  Until Tuesday, it had run for a couple of years without any problems.  Now, however, BITS is balking.

At first, it didn't exist on the services list,  Employing ElderL's registry fix, I've been able to add BITS to the services list. When I try to start the service, I get an alert stating "Could not start BITS service on Local Computer.  Error 1290: 0x50a." Thinking I need to follow your script to register the service, I started by checking to see that the qmgr.dll file is in the three locations you've listed.  It's not.  Search finds the file only in C:\WINDOWS\system32.  In fact, the folders C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\bits don't exist in my WINDOWS folder.  So I'm stopped when I hit your proviso, "Provided they're all present."  System Properties confirms that I have SP3 installed in a 2002 version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Can you advise me how to proceed?  Thanks in advance.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-23T23:50:45+00:00

Thank you for the link ElderL I actually found some help there :)

I was pointed to a Link

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

and it pointed me down to #14 in the list which I did download and run

I did manually go back to the services from the administrative tools and right click to open the properties for BITS and click the start

I have now returned to my Windows Updater and it was able to start and is currently Downloading the updates :)  feeling very optomisic  ATM

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T13:33:36+00:00

    Doug has been busy and has come up with something useful that also addresses a reported issue requring removal of 3 incorrect registry entries.

     

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/bits-error-1290-0x50a-following-updates/9457b57d-1cb4-49f8-b62b-7fc8b226ecca?page=7&msgId=2088e238-8d12-4591-aeb3-ec36230a0d4f

    Keith,

    It should be noted that the three registry entries Doug mentions were only introduced by users who ran the registry file called BITS-FIX.reg. They're not there by default.

    You can see all three here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/windows-update-died-tried-many-solutions-still/7d5ec39f-086f-471f-a713-b195d4c4b24d?page=2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T07:17:10+00:00

    That's interesting.

    For me, I gave up on Fixits a long time ago.  They either don't work, seem to do nothing and you don't know if it did anything or not, reports no problem, etc., so I just don't ever suggest them.  If somebody is really interested to know how Windows products work, how they malfunction and how to fix things, learn how to figure things out and learn how to fix them without a Fixit.  What if there was no such thing as a Fixit - what would you do?

    Maybe some of those extra parameters are 'meaningless to XP' but they should not be there, so if you see that, that means the BITS Service it not right and you should want it to be right, so fix it so it is right and there are no meaningless parameters.

    When you query the BITS Service from a command prompt it should look like this:

    sc  qc  bits  (the command to enter)

    [SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

    SERVICE_NAME: bits

            TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

            START_TYPE         : 3   DEMAND_START

            ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL

            BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs 

            LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :  

            TAG                : 0 

            DISPLAY_NAME       : Background Intelligent Transfer Service 

            DEPENDENCIES       : RpcSs 

            SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem 

    If you have a Service set to Automatic, the START_TYPE will be:

    START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START

    If it doesn't look like that, instead of spending a few days trying things to figure out what's wrong with it and how it got that way, just whack the BITS Service and do the registry import to recreate the Service and you will be done in about 10 seconds.  That's how I Fixit.

    That goes for just about any XP Service too:  Print Spooler, Plug and Play, Firewall, etc.  These are all just generic XP Services and there are also Fixits for them, but I will never suggest a Fixit for them either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T06:49:57+00:00

    Doug has been busy and has come up with something useful that also addresses a reported issue requring removal of 3 incorrect registry entries.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/bits-error-1290-0x50a-following-updates/9457b57d-1cb4-49f8-b62b-7fc8b226ecca?page=7&msgId=2088e238-8d12-4591-aeb3-ec36230a0d4f

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments