How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?

Anonymous
2013-12-26T04:49:35+00:00

Description


If you are tired of seeing “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” notification then it’s time to disable it. Get rid of these regular prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

![](http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-geuKqPzWdgc/Uql_hridYiI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/6CYMmhxvWtg/s400/Windows-1.png)

Solution:

There are two ways to disable "Update to Windows 8.1 for Free" notification message in Windows 8:

Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

  1. Press “WIN+R” keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type “gpedit.msc.” Then press “Enter.”
  2. “Group Policy Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to: 

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store

  1. On the right-side pane, double-click “Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled".

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZX1Ep0wpWUk/Uql_ytpTZsI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/99UY_iXwN6M/s400/Windows-2.png)

It will disable the Windows 8.1 free update installation notifications.

Method 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)

You can do the same thing using Registry Editor instead of Group Policy Editor. Follow the below steps:

  1. Launch RUN dialog box by pressing “WIN+R” and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.
  2. “Registry Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore

If you don’t find the above key then create it manually.

  1. Choose “WindowsStore” key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dBzZ-eYVtpU/UqmAIWtDrOI/AAAAAAAAC1g/T7DNhT9bV_w/s400/Windows-3.png)

5.       Now, close “Registry Editor” and log off or restart Windows.

Congrats, you have successfully disabled those notifications

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-30T14:33:02+00:00

    What I want is my financial data on my home computer not to have the same password as my windows phone. I want to take pictures of events and people with my windows phone and have them automatically sent to one drive. I then wish to download them to my computer and external hard drive at home. I want to take those documents that I choose onto the one drive and use them on my phone. This is the reason I purchased a Windows phone. But without reservation I do not wish the password for my home computer and Windows phone to be the same password. I save IRS documents and financial data on my home computer and think it is wise to have a different password than my Windows phone. To do this I must stay with W8 and not upgrade to 8.1. If Microsoft decides to allow me as a purchaser of their product to make my own decision in this matter then I will upgrade to whatever update allows me that personal decision.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T03:08:34+00:00

    gpedit.msc can not be found by windows on my machine and the registry editor doesn't have WindowsStore listed.  I tried to create it manually but evidently it didn't work.  How else can I get into the goup editor?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-11T15:31:37+00:00

    Why on earth would you not update to 8.1?  This service pack is incredible.  Windows 8.1 uses half the memory of Windows 8.0 on identical hardware, runs significantly faster, and addresses the years of feedback/complaints and performance issues since Windows 8.0 first came out in 2012.  I couldn't imagine saying no to years worth of updates.  That's like still running Windows 7 without SP2!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T13:38:52+00:00

    This didn't work on my machine,  the first step didn't work either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more