How to Disable “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” Notification in Windows 8 Store?

Anonymous
2013-12-26T04:49:35+00:00

Description


If you are tired of seeing “Update to Windows 8.1 for Free” notification then it’s time to disable it. Get rid of these regular prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free.

![](http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-geuKqPzWdgc/Uql_hridYiI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/6CYMmhxvWtg/s400/Windows-1.png)

Solution:

There are two ways to disable "Update to Windows 8.1 for Free" notification message in Windows 8:

Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

  1. Press “WIN+R” keys together to launch RUN dialog box and type “gpedit.msc.” Then press “Enter.”
  2. “Group Policy Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to: 

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store

  1. On the right-side pane, double-click “Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled".

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZX1Ep0wpWUk/Uql_ytpTZsI/AAAAAAAAC1Y/99UY_iXwN6M/s400/Windows-2.png)

It will disable the Windows 8.1 free update installation notifications.

Method 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)

You can do the same thing using Registry Editor instead of Group Policy Editor. Follow the below steps:

  1. Launch RUN dialog box by pressing “WIN+R” and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.
  2. “Registry Editor” gets open.
  3. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore

If you don’t find the above key then create it manually.

  1. Choose “WindowsStore” key and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.

![](http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dBzZ-eYVtpU/UqmAIWtDrOI/AAAAAAAAC1g/T7DNhT9bV_w/s400/Windows-3.png)

5.       Now, close “Registry Editor” and log off or restart Windows.

Congrats, you have successfully disabled those notifications

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-09T15:22:13+00:00

    Asinine or not, until OneDrive has a presence on my local machine like pre-8.1 Windows, I will not be upgrading.  I do not always have an internet connection, so if I want to work on documents, I would have to use non-8.1 Windows or other vendor products, which do not rely on the cloud 100% of the time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T16:59:46+00:00

    Funny you should mention that.  I was just listening to a recent episode of RunAs Radio where the host mentioned "people who avoid updates got burned in the past and swore them off, probably in the 90's" and the practice is avoided by professionals now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T04:30:10+00:00

    I'm just wondering.  I don't see many people on Windows 7 asking how to not get Service Pack 1, and there's very few trying to stay on Windows 8.0 either. Usually when they release fixes for the worst perceived version that even overshadows Vista and approaches on Millennium failure, folks want to get the update and move past the problems.

    Best of luck.

    Sadly, I know plenty of people who avoid updates for the most asinine of reasons. These are also the same people who get their machines infected because they're behind on updates.

    Rule 1 of troubleshooting: Get the latest updates and see if the problem persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T03:34:29+00:00

    I'm just wondering.  I don't see many people on Windows 7 asking how to not get Service Pack 1, and there's very few trying to stay on Windows 8.0 either. Usually when they release fixes for the worst perceived version that even overshadows Vista and approaches on Millennium failure, folks want to get the update and move past the problems.

    Best of luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T03:03:00+00:00

    How does this answer my question?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments