SD Memory Card not working after Windows 8.1 install

Anonymous
2013-10-27T21:51:22+00:00

After installing the Windows 8.1 over Windows 8, I am no longer able to save to F: drive - media card reader.  The drive is not shown under devices and drives.  The Troubleshooter as recommended in other posts could not fix the problem.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-11T06:31:05+00:00

    I have the same problem after installing Windows 8.1 on my Dell Precision M4700. I have tried running the hardware troubleshooter and it always finds the problem and after that the SD card becomes visible. But after reboot I need to run the troubleshooter again.

    I have found what happens is that one of the PCIe ports is disabled at boot:

    Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 - 1E1E

    I now use the Device Manager to enable this and then the card can be worked with. But still it is not persistent. After reboot I have to enable it again.

    I guess there must be a way to make this port persistently enabled, but I have not found a way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T17:11:37+00:00

    I recently upgraded from xp to 8.1 pro.   A card reader built in to the system does not work.

    The only cable from the back of the reader plugs into a USB port on the motherboard.  

    It has power light, a USB port, and several card slots for different formats.   The power light is on, the USB port works, but the card reader slots are not recognized at all.  They don't show up in the device manager, as removable drives, etc.      There is no driver available to install per the manufacturer ... windows is just supposed to see it but does not.

    It appears that not seeing card readers is very common problem among windows 8.1 users.    I've tried ALL the suggested on MS sites and elsewhere ... nothing seems to actually solve this issue.

    A solution would be appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T00:49:07+00:00

    I have 2 computers with the same problem. One is an Acer Aspire V5 with windows 8.1 when I put in a SD card the computer crashes and reboots. I have tried several Sd Cards none work. The second computer is Acer aspire one with a windows 8.1 upgrade the cards just are not read. In a 3rd computer a Acer with Windows 7 the cards all seem to function fine. This problem started when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 

    One more thing all Windows updates were done today and no help

    Thanks John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-28T06:20:27+00:00

    Hi,

    I would you to use the **System** **File** Checker tool and check

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    If the above method doesn’t work, run the DISM tool and check. Refer to “Run the DISM tool” section from the following link. Please ignore the thread title.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-update-error-0x800f081f

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-28T17:22:10+00:00

    Thank you for your response.  I have a Dell Inspiron.

    I tried your suggestions yesterday, restarted, and the SD memory still didn't work.  I tried it again after receiving your response today and BINGO it is working.

    The Hardware Troubleshooter said that I need to reinstall the USB-1FxHC1 USB Host Controller.  The fix did not work.  How do I fix this?

    The Windows Update showed an error code 8024402F.  So I ran the Windows Updater troubleshooter and it said "Problems installing recent updates....NOT FIXED".  But, as I said earlier, I restarted the comp and it is now working.

    So, thank you, and please let me know if I still need to fix per the above two error codes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments