Windows 8.1 folder black shadow bug in dialog icons/context menu

Anonymous
2013-10-25T08:52:11+00:00

There's a bug in the Windows 8.1 dialog box and context menu.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create empty folder
  2. Delete folder, the dialog box will show the folder icon with a black line.

This is also present in the context menu selection, more specifically in the 'send to', icons are surrounded by a black edge. But hovering over them will make the black lines disappear. 

I can perfectly replicate it on 3 machines (2 of which are clean installs of 8.1), other users have also confirmed it. See screenshots below.

I'm using the latest WHQL Nvidia driver if that matters.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-31T05:16:15+00:00

    I have this bug too. Any updates from Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-04T12:44:23+00:00

    I do, but so far no bug even after creating a new folder then deleting it? Have new ACER PC, AMD CPU Quad core with NVIDIA GPU running Windows 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-04T11:45:56+00:00

    I'm having the same problem on my machine.

    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660

    After I fix one bug microsoft introduces another.

    Why can't this product just work a 100%?

    I mean common. Microsoft at least respond to this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T20:17:17+00:00

    I know that. What I meant is that if you associate it with the modern Music app, it gives you the ugly icon while it shouldn't. If you associate it with WMP like you said it gives you a standard music icon shown in my first post. I wanted it to show the standard Music app icon but that could only be fixed if Icaros Thumbnailing was disabled and the Music app is reinstalled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments