Shut-off after 60 seconds Bitlocker

Anonymous
2013-10-24T14:21:58+00:00

Hi,

When I leave the Bitlocker log-in screen inactive for 60 seconds the computer just shuts off. Is this a feature, a bug, or some hardware issue? I already reinstalled Windows.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-30T18:24:37+00:00

    It would be nice if someone from Microsoft Support could weigh in on the issue of this thread. I have the same start-up issue also on a Dell Desktop XPS 8700 running Windows 8.1 Pro with BitLocker.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-23T10:38:37+00:00

    I have the same problem with a Dell Desktop XPS 8700 running Windows 8.1 Pro.

    You have joined an ever increasing in length thread on this problem, no-one seems to have found the answer yet (months) although there are some earlier suggestions worth trying. 

    I have wrestled with the problem for 18 months, the most times I have had to input my password before success was 6, the average is probably 2. It happens about 70% of the time.

    Updating the BIOS seems to have made a marginal improvement.

    The good news is that I have never been completely locked out.....yet !

    The variation on devices/brands suggests to me that this is a Microsoft issue.

    I am sticking with it until Windows 10 appears later in the year and hopefully that will be the end of it, otherwise it is off to TruCrypt successor VeraCrypt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-22T19:54:20+00:00

    I am running Windows 8.1 Pro. I turned on bitlocker for full drive encryption (this is part of windows 8.1 Pro). Bitlocker works fine - except on startup when it's asking for your password. While I'm typing the password my ASUS laptop shuts off. It shuts off in approx 10 to 15 seconds. Sometimes I can type fast enough to get it to boot. I have an ASUS laptop Q501LA.

    I opened a ticket with ASUS.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-21T02:42:42+00:00

    I have the same problem.  Asus z97-A USB 3.1.  I'm currently running the updated AMDA00 driver and that didn't fix it.

    I am using a Samsung 850EVO trying to use hardware encryption.  I have contacted ASUS and submitted a support ticket.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-03-09T08:21:12+00:00

    After a few days, I had no more shutdowns (previously, they happened most of the time). So in my case it seems clear that the ACPI Probe II sense driver (AMDA00) on my ASUS board was the main culprit than lead to frequent shutdown after variable, short times during password entry.

    Like I said, there is also an unrelated shutdown after 60sec if I don't enter the password, but that doesn't bother me since I don't take me that long to enter my password.

    So for other people with ASUS mainboards and quick (<60sec) or variable time shutdowns, from my experience I'd suggest updating the ACPI Probe II sense driver, which can be downloaded from the section of the ASUS website relating to your mainboard/motherboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments