Unable to send emails to Groups in Windows Live Mail

Anonymous
2014-06-19T20:37:21+00:00

Original title: sending & receiving group contact emails

I don't understand why I cannot send emails to my group contacts, as I have done for many years.  I tried it on another computer in the house today, using my husband's account, and it worked fine.  On my own account, when I begin to type in the group name, for example "Fam," the full name "Family" will appear, I click on it, and it appears in the To line, as it should.  It looks like it is ready to send, but it does not go.  If I copy to my own email to see what happens, I am the only name on the sent message.  This has been a problem for nearly a year, but now I need to use larger group mailings, and it is a bigger problem.  What can I do? Both of our computers run Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail.  I have read some comments from the community about Windows Live Mail not supporting group contacts, but why does it allow the creation of group contacts if they cannot be used?

Thanks,

Ruth

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-17T01:31:40+00:00

    Please read my reply just above yours. This eliminates the need to enter addresses every time. Make a template.

    Who knows if MS will ever fix this. I want from OE to Win7. tried WLMail for a few days and switched to Thunderbird and have no regrets.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-17T01:21:23+00:00

    No, it doesn't happen when you add the names individually, and don't use a category.  But that is time consuming when I have a large group to send emails to.   Actually it doesn't seem to happen with all my categories.  It sent one category I used today, but left out some of the contacts.  That is also really irritating: not to be confident that everyone is getting the info they need.  I've been doing tests...which must be irritating to the recipients!

    Patsy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-17T00:52:51+00:00

    The reason I asked Noel was this:

    In Outlook Express, groups did not import nor export so I created my "groups" this way.

    In a new message window, enter all the recipients it the To, CC or BCC field. (Your choice). Put your own address in the To field if using CC or BCC. An alias "group" address could be created. Eg: In the Contacts list, create a new address using your address with a display name of your choice such as "My Group".

    Put "My Group" in the To field and all the recipients in the CC or BCC field. X out without sending. Then click the Menu Button at the top left and Save As File and save it to the desktop. You can also drag it to the Taskbar if you wish.

    Now when you want to send a message to this "group", just click on the icon that was created when you saved it and a new message window will open with the recipients already inserted. WLMail does not even have to be open.

    If you have any text that you always use in the body of the message, that can be created when you make the template. Subject as well if you wish.

    Since this has been an issue since WLMail 2012 was introduced, for me it would be a good workaround until it is fixed. After two years, I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-17T00:25:16+00:00

    I have no trouble in typing in multiple individual addresses or if I cut and paste a group of individually typed addresses.  My work-around method now is to cut and past a group of addresses from an incoming message.  I keep a message of about 30 addresses saved in a draft with for a weekly use, and I simply paste it in the To line when I need it.

    It was a suggestion from the Microsoft Community, and so far it works.

    Ruth

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-16T23:59:58+00:00

    @Noel.

    Do you know if this problem persists if you enter numerous addresses in the To, CC or BCC line, but not an actual "Category"? I can't test it as I still cannot install WLMail 2012 on either of my Win7 machines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments